chapter 1

It was early November. An early invitation of winter coming in. A warning telling the people winter was coming. It was a chilly night mid 60 degree's. I wore my ruffed up blue jeans, My red flannel shirt with my black jacket and my black boots. I walked down the familiar town. Walking on the side walk, passing Connie's restaurant, Panara and of course the old Greenwood's bookstore. I turned my head across the street to the Panara bakery, where my friends were. In the warm building. Laughing, having fun. I wanted to join them but there was a void, some kind of urge. I knew exactly what that void was, my friend.

Dan Howell. He was a good friend. But the thing that bugged me was the way he acted. ever since august he started acting very strange like at a random moment where him and I are talking and laughing he will say he has to go somewhere. The thing that bugged me the most was the face he made right before he said it. Like I had said a bad joke or he was mad at me. Almost like he was going to attack me. But he would always apologize through text that night saying "Sorry! I don't know what happened." or "I'll make it up to you tomorrow". It was abnormal! I was just scared i was loosing my friend!

The chilly air blew in my face and I shrugged my shoulders so my hair could cover my body or at least keep my neck warm. I stopped in the middle of the side walk and turned my head to look at the Panara bakery and through the window seeing both of my friends laughing while playing a card game called ERS. "Come on you idiot! Just go back inside! You can see Dan tomorrow. You went out so you can forget him, not keep stressing about him. GO NOW!" I kept arguing with myself. I was right. I need a break from Dan and all this worrying about him. The words kept flowing through my head. Was I really so stubborn not to listen to common sense. I decided to head back to Panara. Before I stepped out into the street my phone had buzzed. I quickly grabbed my phone from my jean pocket and clicked my phone on and saw I had received a text from Dan

it read:

"Hey, sorry I couldn't make it tonight. Got busy"

the second one I received was only a few moments ago.

"Actually, can we meet up in 15? At our spot? I have something to tell you"

"Yeah, sure see you then" I replied and put my phone back in my pocket.

I ran across the black street and headed towards Panara. I opened the door feeling the cold a/c wind blow in my face. I went to my friends who had just finished another of their card games. Ashlee looked up at me.

"Oh hey Katt!" She said as she tucked a piece of her blond hair over her ear. She smiled at me. Alyssa turned around in the booth to see me and she smiled.

"Hey, I gotta go!" Both of their expressions changed once I said that. "I'll be back later"

"Is it about Dan again?" Ashlee asked and at that moment I knew that I had to make a choice. Stay with my friends or see Dan.

"Oh how about this. We meet up at Ashlee's house at 11?" Alyssa said. Ashlee smiled and nodded. They both looked at me waiting for my answer. It did seem like a good idea and it was only 8:30 ish. I smiled and nodded.

"Okay see you then!" Ashlee excitedly said. I turned around heading to the front door. Suddenly my phone rang as I opened the door and heading into the chilly night. I grabbed my phone and the caller ID said

"Phil"