Chapter One

Chapter One

          School’s over and I have all summer to be with my friends and sit our asses on the beach all day. Two weeks before we made a plan for the summer, on day one we would get out of town and go on a shopping spree. All our parents agreed since they knew it’s been our ritual for many years. It’s been a long year and we deserved some break.

 Anna’s parents were out of town and she had their huge house on her own. She threw an end of the year party and invited only the popular kids in school. Everyone was talking about it all day in school, and by the way Anna flaunts her hair and how she smiles, she seems to be pleased.

At lunch Anna made her way in the cafeteria by waving and smiling at everyone. She spotted us on our usual place next to the school jocks.

“Lisa you should come to my party tonight or I’ll forget that you’ve ever been my friend.” Anna greeted us. The jocks on the other table turned to us and waited for my answer. They were all smiling, amused to make it more specific. They were all eager to hear my answer and Anna would bug me until I change my mind. All of them think it’s cute especially when Anna and I argue, but I don’t.

“You can be my date tonight if you want” Jasper the tallest and the most muscular in the group suggested. He was cute and his smile always reached his ears. But he isn’t my type.

“See even Jasper wants to be your date.” Anna pressed on.

“I can’t I have something else to do.” I waved my hand in dismissal.

“What? You got to be kidding me! What else are you supposed to do now that the school is over?” Anna asked incredulously.

I can’t tell them they’ll just laugh at me if I told them the truth. “Anna I can’t go and that’s just it. And I mean it this time.” I stood up and left.

“What’s wrong with her?” Anna huffed. She’s not used to having seen me act that way. She always knew me as the silent and meek person.

Our last day ended joyfully, everyone cheered and threw their papers in the air when the school bell rang. At last we were free.

I went to my car a little jumpy on the way. I knew Anna would be waiting to ambush me. I could see my car and Anna was nowhere in sight. Good maybe this time she respected my decision. Ten more yards and I’ll be safe in my car. I dug my hands on my bag frantically looking for my car keys. Where can it be? I’m sure I placed it here before I entered the school building.

I didn’t notice that I was already in my car when Anna popped out of nowhere jingling my car keys, “Where you looking for these?” She was beaming.

One by one my other friends emerged from the big jeep next to my silver Mercedes. They were all smug, happy that they were able to ambush me.

“Can I please have my car keys back? I have to go” I pleaded hoping that it’ll work on Anna.

“No. and besides why are you such in a hurry?” Carrie asked. She was peeking behind Jasper’s back.

“She has a game with his dad tonight and it’s been a tradition for them. That’s the reason why she can’t make it tonight.” Nate said. He was leaning on the jeep’s door. His voice seemed to be tired and bored.

My eyes widened. How did he know about that? No one was supposed to know that besides me, my dad and my mom.

“What game? Can’t you do it some other day?” Anna’s brows were knitted. She wanted to know.

“Anna, give me my keys I really have to go.” I reached for the keys but she threw it to Jasper who caught it swiftly. He laughed and jiggled the keys between his index finger and his thumb.