Incongruous

The rain poured down heavily, relentlessly hitting the windscreen of her new car. The outline of the small restaurant could be made out with a squint of the eyes, the fluorescent sign standing out. She glanced down at her watch and it occurred to her that she was going to be late. She needed help fast if she had any chance of making it to the wedding on time. Opening the door of her car, she jumped up from the driver’s seat and into the rain; each droplet drenched her olive skin, causing her hair to stick to her face.

The path down to the entrance of the restaurant was muddy, her high heels buckling and digging in the ground at the uneven terrain. Her mind was racing with thoughts and she was angered to have left her phone on her nightstand. Once she reached the restaurant door, she took no hesitation in opening it. The bells placed above chiming as it announced her entrance. At the sound, silence fell among the customers. Their heads turned to her instantly and she felt their gazes upon her. Feeling self-conscious, she bowed her head and quickly made her way to the counter, taking a seat on the far corner of the bar table. 

As she looked around the room, she felt out of place. Her formal gown was clinging to her body due to the rain like a second skin, her heels were now muddy and her hair, which was once styled to perfection, a mess. The people in the room returned to their previous conversations, the lively chatter continuing again amongst the room.

A waitress appeared from the kitchen, a plate of food in her hand. “There’s your regular Zac”, she said as she placed it in front of a young man with disheveled brown hair, conveniently dressed in warm clothing. Lucky him, she thought. She felt a shiver run up her spine and goosebumps were forming on her bare, wet arms. She realized how cold she really was. Turning to face her, the waitress froze, taking in her appearance then once again resuming to grab her notepad and pencil from the pocket of her apron.

“May I help you?” she asked cautiously.

She had to give her credit though.  The waitress hardly even flinched when she saw her. She knew and felt like she was the elephant in the room. The stares directed her way and the tiny snippets of questioning glances between everyone in the room made her feel rather awkward and uncomfortable.

A throat clearing brought her out of her thoughts and she realized she still hadn’t replied to the waitress. “I- I umm… I’ll have a cup of coffee please. And if it’s not t-too much trouble a phone I c-could b-borrow” she stuttered. She mentally slapped herself for she knew her chattering teeth just brought more attention to herself.

“Sorry sweetie but the telephone we have available is out.” The waitress’ voice, she noticed, had a slight southern twang to it. “The telephone lines were cut by a tree falling due to the storm last night. Sorry dear. But I’ll go get you your coffee.”

As the waitress left to make her her coffee she wondered how she would ever make it in time for her sister’s wedding. She’d be murdered that’s for sure. Groaning to herself at her predicament she rested her arms across the table and buried her head in the crook of her arm. I am so dead, I am so dead, I am sooo dead. The repeated words becoming a mantra to her. A breathy sigh left her chapped lips and she licked them to try and get some moisture back.

Looking up from underneath her mascara coated lashes she noticed the guy from earlier - I think his name was Zac? Damn he’s cute - looking at her. But as soon as their eyes met, he turned away revealing to her the slight tinge of pink that graced his sharp cheekbones.  Was he blushing? Or maybe it was just the cold. She decided to believe the latter. She surveyed the side of his face from where she sat. Noticing the slight curl of his lengthy lashes, the perfectly shaped nose, full lips and nicely defined jaw. She herself felt her cheeks blushing at blatantly checking him out and turned away like he did not long before.

Shortly her coffee arrived and she reveled in the warmth it emitted through her cold hands. For the first time since she arrived she felt safety. The familiarity of freshly grounded coffee beans reminded her of her usual mornings amongst the hustle and bustle of the city. She closed her eyes trying to forget the goosebumps lining her arms. Instead, breathing in the steam and warmth of her beverage. She heard the slight screech of a stool nearby and opened her eyes when she felt a weight on her shoulders. Startled, she saw that it was a grey knitted cardigan. Confused, she turned around and faced Zac, her eyes widening as he stood in front of her clad in a white t-shirt. He had a lazy smile on his face and he winked at her. Blushing furiously at the realization that she was wearing his cardigan, she thanked him.

“You’re welcome.” He said. “My name is Zac by the way.” His hand outstretched in front of her.

She outstretched hers also, a smile adorning her face. “Emma. My name is Emma.”