Love At A Distance

"I have enough of your merde. I don't want to talk nor fight with you anymore. So, bye." 

That was it. That was my last message that I sent to him. It was the end. Who knew this would happen after all the good memories and after being together for almost two years? No one. No one except me.

*****

It was a week before school started. Time flew by so fast that I couldn't believe I would be starting school soon after having many months of holidays after the GCE O Level examinations. Whenever the thought of school started to cross my mind, it gave me extreme butterflies in my stomach. It would be the start of my tertiary education and I would meet many new friends in a new environment, but... deep inside, I was just afraid. I just felt that I couldn't fit in. 

I then decided to distract my nervousness by going online in Facebook and randomly searching for guys. I had been single for a month and the only way to move on, was to add random guy friends. That was narrow-minded indeed but little did I know that I would meet someone special who would changed my life then.

"Hmm... Maybe I should try searching for French guys. That would be interesting," I thought to myself quietly while my hand was busy typing out the details in the search engine.

As soon as I hit "enter", someone caught my attention. 

Hamed Mahad. That was his name. The 21-year-old Moroccan who changed my life into a huge rollercoaster. And the best one I have ever had.

It all started with, "Salut."

When I first talked to him, he was not like the other stereotypical Arab men who would threw in a lot of sweet talk and cheesy pick up lines; instead, he was like a living corpse. No, I was serious. He would always gave me short answers and did not really express his feelings that much. For example, when we find something funny, we would usually type “Haha” or “Hahahahahahahha!” to show that… it is funny! That was an exception for Hamed. I found him mysterious because he was not like the other guys I have met who could not stop flirting around even for a second.

Until the day he video called me, I melted. I did not know that the living corpse whom I had been chatting with every night was a young, handsome and charming lad.  His deep brown eyes, short brown curly hair which was always in a tangled mess, sharp nose and charming smile always made my heart skipped a beat whenever I looked at him through the webcam in MSN.  I had never felt like I was on seventh heaven before. Despite his undoubtedly good looks, what attracted me most was of course his unique personality. Ever since then, our chats in MSN would always be filled with unstoppable giggles and blushes like small kids. Until one beautiful evening, I became his.

For the first few months being together, I felt like I was over the moon. Even my friends around me realized how cheerful and bubbly I was ever since being together with Hamed. Of course there were people who were against us, especially some of my new classmates. They claimed that the spark between Hamed and I will not last for more than 6 months. Yet, we proved them wrong. After all, love knows no barriers. Love knows no distance. The distance was just something physical and love is much more than that, I personally believed. Even though the distance between France and Singapore is approximately 6 500 miles apart, that actually made my love for him stronger as I waited patiently until the day we could finally meet.

Honestly, when we first got together, I did not put too much hope into our relationship because I did not think that it would last for more than a month. But I was wrong. After all the laughter, jokes, teases and childish comments that never failed to make me smile night and day, it was finally coming to our first year anniversary. Can you believe it? We were together for coming to a year despite the distance and difference in time zones. I couldn’t believe it either. Then, tons of crazy ideas raced through my mind.