Prologue

PROLOGUE

11th September, 2001

8:15 am

As the warm sunshine poured through the window and onto Silvia's face, she squirmed in bed and finally after a few tosses and turns, opened her eyes and woke up. She stretched and got out of bed with a yawn.

Greg was already in the washroom and she could hear the shower running. She made her way to the kitchen and poured herself a glass of orange juice and popped onto the counter chair.

She had hardly slept last night, giving last touches to her presentation which was due this afternoon.

Silvia was an attorney associated with one of the leading law firms of The United States of America which she had joined, shortly after her graduation. She had worked hard rigorously for the past 6 years to attain the position she was on today.

She was very important to her firm and was being considered as a new partner. She was ensuring her promotion due in fall by securing this prestigious account. If she did this right today, nothing could stop her from becoming a partner in her firm.

" I didn't think you would be up so early this morning, you have a lot of time before you to to office Sil, " Greg was standing before her, fully dressed and smelling tantalizingly fresh.

" It must be the adrenalin rush darling because I feel completely charged. " Silvia smiled.

Silvia and Greg met on the first day of law college and had immediately fallen in love with each other. Their relationship remained steady through the college and as soon as they graduated 6 years ago, they had said 'I do'.

They both had struggled side by side and made a solid life for themselves and amidst all the hard work, their bond grew stronger being binded by their love and affection towards each other.

Both were the only child to their respective parents and didn't have much of a family. Silvia had lost her father when she was just 3 years old and her mother had succumbed to cancer last year while Greg's parents were divorced and remarried living at two different ends of the country. She had hardly seen her inlaws in the past 6 years and it was just as well.

In the first few years of her marriage, she had been hogged by her mother-in-law about when Greg and Silvia would extend their family. She would always tell Silvia how Greg was her only son and she was looking forward to loads of grandchildren.

However, in the initial years of their marriage, neither Greg nor Silvia could think of affording children in their lives and later when they could, the babies never came.

This only made Silvia and Greg come closer to each and love the other more.

" Do you want me to make you some breakfast Greg? "

" No, I'm running late for an early appointment honey. I'll ask Jane to fix a light breakfast in the office. " Jane was Greg's secretary who was trusted to handle such situations with ease.

" And don't forget, we are flying at 10:00 pm tonight. I have completed my packing already, you can come back early and finish yours in the evening. " Greg reminded her as he picked his briefcase from the table and came over to her.

I have been excited about this trip for sometime now. " Silvia flashed a warm smile at Greg.

With their busy careers, both of them were always eager to spend quality time with each other and away from work. They had taken a week off and were going to spend it in Paris.

Greg smiled and pecked a quick kiss on her lips with a 'see you' and was out of the doors. He poked back his head and called out, ' Sil, I love you' and went out again. It was still quite early for Greg but today was a busy day for him as he would be out of the office for a week.

Silvia rinsed the glass after finishing the juice and then she came and sat on the sofa and switched on the television.

The morning show host had some interesting guests with her and Silvia was particularly interested in Tara Shroff who had lately been in news for her new movie and an ugly divorce. Silvia had 3 hours to reach office and that was ample time as it was still early in the morning.

Only after a few minutes, Silvia was bored of the show and thought about hitting the shower herself but as she gave a quick glance at the wall clock, she saw it was only 8:40 am and decided to watch the hourly news update on channel 5N. She looked up for the remote control and switched the channel and as soon as she did, her mind was filled with confusion with what she saw on screen.

The screen was filled with images of an airplane flying towards the world trade center while the presenter was saying something about hijack.

The confusion was lifted and replaced by fear for those onboard and also because not even in her wildest dreams did Silvia think that a crime of such magnitude could hit USA!

Her mind was still registering the details of what she was seeing on tv when she saw the plane colliding with one of the towers of the world trade center.

Silvia let out a scream and ran to call Greg because both Silvia and Greg's offices were in the world trade center.

She had to know if Greg was alright, if her colleagues were okay and they all had to get out of the building RIGHT NOW!!

She called Greg on his mobile phone and after the third ring, Greg picked up.

" Oh thank god Greg, are you okay? I..I just saw.....that plane....oh Greg baby get out of the building! " Silvia was crying hysterically by now.

" Sil, baby, calm down, I'm fine, I'm good, don't worry I'm getting out....we all are, shushhh honey it's okay, stop crying, everything is going to be okay, I'm coming home in a few minutes okay, easy now Sil, just calm down baby everything will be fine ya, I Love you hon."

"I love you too Greg, just get out and come home."

" yes darling, you hang in there, i'll be over there soon, bye Sil."

" bye Greg"

Silvia hang up and returned to the television. She could see that the top floors were on fire and even miles away from the place, she felt panicked. She was still crying loudly and praying for everyone's safety when suddenly, right before her eyes the tower started crumbling down.

It was a slow process, almost graceful like a soldier who falls down on his knees first as he goes down, before hitting the ground. Similarly, in just a moment, the entire tower had turned into a huge mound of rubble.

"Greg...." was all Silvia uttered before she blacked out.