Ellie's Lullaby

The clock struck the hour, and I knew that time was running like a lightning bolt. The seasons flew by, months were zooming and hours were slowing disintegrating into thin air. With Ellie's brain cancer getting worse and worse by the day, and her mother being dead for almost two years now, it was just getting harder and more tougher by the day. She had started chemotherapy and most of her hair had fall out, however she was still my little angel.

I gazed out the window to see Ellie playing with her dolls in the grass, with all the other children staring at her like she was an ugly beast, however I still think she is my beautiful little girl. The telephone rang, I ran to the phone in the living room.

"Hello John! It's Dr Smith from the chedgey doctors! I'm afraid to say Dr Collins has came down with an illness and will be retiring so he can no longer come to your house, however we've got a marvellous new female doctor called Dr Jones and she is just as good!" He said to me on the telephone.

"Oh yes! That'll be great! Could she come in about half an hour?" I replied.

"Of course John! She'll be round in about half an hour! See you soon, bye!" Dr Smith replied.

As I went to go and tell Ellie that she had a new doctor coming, I stopped as I got to the front door as I saw the most amazing thing happening. Ellie had a friend. She had cancer too. They were playing together and singing nursery rhymes.

"Ellie! Sorry to interupt you and your friend! We've got a lovely new lady coming round in a little while, so you'll have to be in in a while. You can play with your friend as soon as the lovely lady goes, ok?" I shouted across the garden to Ellie.

"Okay daddy! My friends name is grace. She's been playing with me and my dolls for a long time now!" Ellie shouted back.

Her friend gazed up slowly, and you could tell she was extremely shy, and looked quite frightened.

"Hello grace! My names John. It's very nice to meet you!" I said to Grace.

"It's very nice to meet you too John." She said to me very shyly.

"Ellie will about out in about an hour. Would you like to stop for tea? Fish fingers and smiley faces okay" I asked Grace.

"Oh yes! That would be lovely Mr Jo-"

"Just call me John!" I replied.

Twenty minutes after watching Mickey Mouse with Ellie, the new doctor knocked on the door.

I opened the tall door. The new doctor stood there. She was stunning. I had an automatic bond with her straight away.

"You must be John!" She said in her shockingly familiar voice. My eyes were looked to her husky blue eyes just like hers.

"John? Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yes, yes, yes! Sorry! I'm fine! Come in, come in. " I said to her.

"Hello! You must be Ellie! It's lovely to meet you!" The doctor said to her.

" You look like my mummy, she's in heaven now! She was like me!" Ellie said to the doctor.

I felt my eyes tearing as the atmosphere got cold.

"Sorry! She gets a bit distracted sometimes!" I said to the doctor.

"It's fine! Don't be! By the way, you can call me Sam if you'd like." Sam replied,

"Is Sam short for Samantha? That's a very pretty name!" Ellie asked Sam.

"Yes it is! Ellie is a beautiful name too" Sam replied to Ellie whilst she smiled at the family portraits around the living room.

"Do you know what is the matter with yourself then Ellie?" Sam asked.