Part 1 ~ The Calm before the Storm

"Mum! Mum!" The sound of an excited young girl's voice echoed through the room, a small bundle of fur in the youngster's frail arms while their eyes glittered as her Mother turned around, a joyful look spread across both their faces. "Is this the little one you want?" The tall woman chuckled, a soft expression washing over her as she took the bundle of fur out the child's arms, a beautiful Border collie with red patches all over their small frame, their small eyes still tightly closed as they blissfully slept through the commotion.

 The sound of light footsteps filled the room as another lady walked over with a short and slightly chubby build but a kind and friendly face. "It's a shame to see this little darling go. But I know you'll take great care of the little one, Helen." The short lady smiled brightly, her cheeks wrinkling up as she glanced over to the little girl who was snuggling the small pup ever-so gently, cooing sweet words to the little bundle.

"Darling, it's time to go." The girl's mother chirped, ecstasy and excitement clear on her face, mirroring her daughter's joyful expression as they stumbled down the steps, the young animal wrapped tightly in their small arms, sauntering away from the quaint ivy covered cottage, the flowerbeds all neatly and elegantly maintained. Walking up to the car and ever-so gently placing the small bundle onto the backseat as the child sat next to it, quickly buckling her seatbelt with a short click as her mother got into the front seat, glancing back at the quaint cottage while beaming winsomely, a glitter in their bright aqua eyes as the car began to drive away. Looking back at the small canine on the seat next to her she grinned like a Cheshire cat. The drive went quickly due to the aesthetically pleasing view; just countryside and nature.

The girl's mother set the small creature down onto a warm fluffy pet bed, the inside was a snug woollen knit quilt, the auburn and white furred puppy squeaking and nestling down into the warmth as the girl walked over, her Mum wrapping her arm around the girl's body, embracing the child in a hug. "Have you thought of a name for her yet, Robin?" The lanky woman questioned, the golden haired girl just nodded. "Ruby." They grinned brightly, as if proud of theirself for coming up with it. "Ruby it is then. Welcome to the family little one."