Meeting Doctor Kade

Oh God… Please don’t let it happen. Please, please… I’ve worked so hard and I tried so hard please God-

“Hello,” a modulated voice greets me and drags me away from my thoughts.

I look at the direction where the voice is coming from. “Hi,” I say in a brittle and tiny voice. My worry is clearly obvious.

“Ms. York, right?” the same voice says in a kind and sympathetic way. Now that I’m seeing him, I realize that his appearance is even more appealing than his voice is. Compared to me, he’s huge –but in a good way. His tall and muscular body gives a feeling of protection to me, I feel like nothing can happen to me as long as I am with him.

“Yes.”

“I’m Doctor Kade. How are you?”

“How do you think I am? My feet is in terrible pain, and there’s a possibility that I might never even dance, or walk!” I can’t help but snap. “How are you?” I ask sarcastically, not really expecting an answer after what I have just said.

“How do you think I am? I’ve seen three patients already, another one is complaining right now even though I had nothing to do with her foot injury, I couldn’t save the leg of a car accident survivor last night, and I haven’t slept in 46 hours,” he grins.

“Oh, that’s why you’re so grumpy.”

“I’m not grumpy. See, I’m smiling,” he widens his grin.  “Now lets get set to work, shall we?"

Dr. Kade tells me to lay down on the exam table and walks towards me. “You said pain in the inside of your right ankle, right?”

***

Fifteen minutes later he’s done. “It doesn’t seem like anything serious but an MRI is still necessary. Sometimes even the most severe injuries may not be noticeable in physical examination.”

“Okay, how long will it take for me to receive the results?” I ask, still worried. Even though he said it’s probably nothing, I still have a bad feeling and I’m usually never wrong when it came to bad feelings. Crap.

“It usually takes 24-48 hours because us doctors are too busy all day and lazy once we get home, but I have to stay in here till 6 pm and I don’t have any work going on, so I can see you right after you get out from MRI.”

“Okay, thank you,” I mutter and walk out of the room.

***

“Hello again,” he grins as I walk in.

“Hi,” I mumble and hand him the scan reports as I leave my bag on the chair. He grabs them and pulls them out of the huge envelope.

I study his face as he views the scans. I realize his expression is changing. Just for a split second. And then it goes back to normal.

Something’s up. Something’s wrong.

All my hopes shutter and crumble in pieces. This is unbelievable. All my life, I’ve tried too hard to get here and now I can’t dance? This is unfair. My one and only passion is gone, and I have nothing left. I’m never going to be able to dance again.

I kept praying and praying that it was just a regular pain. I hoped I would be okay in a week. I kept ignoring the fact that I had been this way for two months. I was wrong.

“Would you like to take a seat?” I snap back to reality.

I follow his instruction and silently sit down on the chair. “What’s wrong?” I mumble in a tiny voice. I’m not even sure if I want to hear.