Chapter 1: Moving to a new home

Thinking and talking to myself. I was in my usually “silent” room, which was now filled with my anger and disappointment. “What will that damn moving bring to me? Fresh air, nature, new friends perhaps?!” I said to myself. I didn’t want to leave the city and move to country side. But my father got a job there and that’s how it’s like nowadays. We are moving over and over again.

 As per usual, I was complaining about it to my BFF Hannah. “How are we going to see each other again? You know where Sacramento is compared to London, right?” Patient, like she always was, she kept on comforting me. “Look, you’ll get used to the environment and people. We can write to each other through e-mail and I can come to a visit, when the summer holidays begin.” I didn’t want to listen to her, even though in my heart I knew she was right. It was just me, being stubborn like usual. I couldn’t sleep at night, so I thought about all the drama going on lately and didn’t even realize how hard tears were pouring down my cheeks. I couldn’t even imagine that all the life I knew is going to end in the next couple of days. The next week came too fast. While packing the last few boxes and carrying them to the car, Hannah came by. We hugged each other tightly and cried. Right before we took off, she gave me small present looking like box and ordered me not to open it, until we come to Sacramento. Even though I didn’t like the idea of not looking to the present she placed in my hands, I promised to her to have a look at it when I get to my “new home” (o god, that sounded so unreal when it came out of my mouth and I knew I said it in disgust). I hugged her one last time, one last time took the look of my too-familiar-to-leave neighborhood and all snotty got in the car. The air was choking me; I gasped for air and loudly sobbed in the back of a car, until we came to the airport.
I was awakened by the sound of the airplane landing. What?  It’s impossible for me to have slept throughout the whole flight. But as soon as we got into a cab, sleep took over me again, just like it was protecting from the future that followed. I woke up in front of our new home. The house itself looked scary, strange and unfamiliar. The porch was broken as well as the windows, everything just looked scary and abandoned. Slowly, I got out of the car, while the others were already waiting for me. I went inside. The floor was creaking under my feet and there was cobweb and dust everywhere. You could instantly tell the place was abandoned for quite a while. Mum noticed my concerned look and whispered: “It’s not as bad as it looks. A little bit of renovation and our home will look as brand new.” Home? This old, scary house, which was already falling apart? Is she sick or something? When I was already planning to explore the rest of this dump, she said to me: “Why don’t you have a look at your new room?”
Despite the fact that I was already annoyed with this place within the first five minutes, I decided to give it a chance. I opened the door and I was amazed.

I really wasn’t expecting room so big and bright. Well, it didn’t really have the modern equipment, but still. There was a big window, which took a quite big part of the wall. I could see a beautiful meadow and forest nearby. In front of me there was a huge desk and above it there was a picture hanging on the wall. When I dusted it, I could read a sentence. “Believe in yourself and you are already half-way there.” In that moment I didn’t realize how much I’ll need the message in the future. In the same moment I remembered Hannah’s present. Curiously I opened it and discovered a necklace with a horseshoe and a little note. My heart hurt, when I remembered my friend and reading the note. It said:

Dear Lucy, no matter how great the distance will be between us, we’ll forever remain best friends. Try to enjoy the new environment and make friends with others. You know, I chose this charm thinking the horseshoe will bring you luck. If you’ll have it hanging around your neck, you’ll be happy no matter what will happen. I know that this is hard for you, but try to believe that you’re going to have a great life there. I will never forget you.

                                    Hannah

I don’t know how she does it. Her words always touch my heart. I put the necklace around my neck and instantly felt better. I felt with this charm Hannah will always be with me.