Run

I hear the moaning, and the drags of their decayed limbs. I came up with the theory to be unrecognized,  Kill one, cover my face and skin with their blood, and walk like them. It is a success. I walk through their decaying skin, meat, and knowledge with no trouble. The smell should've bothered me, But I have been in these situations' since my parents died. I look behind me and notice that they're no longer beside me. They are unable to run so I spring my feet fast and I easily pass the bodies.

I soon arrive at the home of a unknown person, the new safe house I found two days ago. I dunk under the barbwire I have sent up in many different heights. I enter my new home and set my backpack on the table, supplying the shelves. I now have food, running water, working electricity, and a roof over my head. I smile at this, I've been on the run for a year. I have not seen my full reflection since. I lock every opening in the home and simply make my way upstairs to the bathroom, I turn the water and light on, I'm only 17. But now it doesn't really matter. I slip in the running water, Washing the infected blood from my skin. I take in the basic warmth of the water.

Not long after I enter the water, I step out. I find long piece of cloth in the cabinet, the house was left like new.  I grew up in this world, I was only five when it happened. I look in the mirror at a woman, Not a girl. A girl couldn't survive, not like me. I have survived for twelve years. I see my plain, grey eyes, they are huge. My lips just the same. My hair is a brown/blonde color that fades into blonde because of the sun and the seasons, It ends just as my ribcage does.

I am a simple girl. I value everything I have because now everyone is fortunate to be alive. I leave the bathroom and into the kitchen. I prepare myself some pasta. It's easy to survive alone. I drag myself to the window after preparing my meal. I finish it and as soon as I do. The Infected are slowly carrying their selves here. I quickly grab cans and bottles of water, and leave. I rush myself along to find shelter tonight.

I travel millions of miles before finding a place to stop. I get out and cover the car with sheets to hide it. Hoping to camouflage myself. I think to myself about others. Are there more people in this world or is it just me? I shift my body into a flattering position to delicately fall asleep, not falling asleep quickly. But Thinking with my eyes shut, My images shuffle around in my head. I don't feel safe inside the car. But its safer than out there. I prefer it, I still have gas. A way to run it too many started to surround me. I have killed many of them. I am fast, Not strong but I am fast. I also have a better instinct to get away and survive. I am simple. Having no one to leave behind. I am alone, and It is better that way. I have no one to count on or anyone to lose.

I quickly surround my head with thoughts to survive tomorrow. I do not expect to fall asleep quickly, Lightly singing a soft melody my mother taught me, seven years ago. My eyes are heavier. My singing turns into hums, and my thoughts are disappearing. I quickly find myself lethargic.