Prologue

A girl with flaming red hair ran swiftly at the edge of the woods, cloak covering her freckled face, looking off in the distance. Soft snowflakes fell onto her shoulders, her old clothes, and the ground surrounding her bare feet. Yet, her focus stayed, not blinking or moving an inch. To anyone who would have passed through this hour would have simply ignored her, telling themselves that they're dreaming, before heading off.

Time stood still as the girl watched, silence filled the woods. Scary shadows danced around her footsteps, imitating every child's worst nightmare. Something swooped on the girl's shoulder, making her break her glance. Sharp claws dug into her pale skin, yet she did not move.

The falcon nipped softly on her ear, as if motioning for her to look behind her. Alas, it was too late. The Forsaken had gotten to her. Muffling her screams with their gloved fingers, they tied her hands and legs making it impossible to move a single inch.

The leader smirked with his fangs as he brought a white pill to the side of her mouth, causing the girl's eyes to open wider. The pill was placed into her mouth by a sudden motion of the leader. It started to sizzle on her tongue. The world started to spin in circles, and she could have sworn she heard voices. Voices that spoke words in her own language, yet seemed to be foreign at the same time. The world seemed to be frozen, and then suddenly went dark.

The Forsaken made eye contact with each other, as if they understood without words. Meanwhile the smallest one slumped the stiff body of the girl over his shoulder. The leader snapped his fingers and then they disappeared, the moss where they have been previously standing on straight, like no living soul had ever walked these woods. Only the falcon looked around on his pinewood tree for a solid minute before taking cover for the mountains.