The Rain

Sometimes people perceive rain as a bad thing. A time of storm and sadness. For me it simply means a time of reflection.
     As the rain pounded on the asphalt and soaked most people to the indoors there were two of us outside.
    Walking through the rain towards his car. Getting ready to go home after a long day up at the school. We sit in the parking lot of a few minutes making casual conversation but only one thought ran through my mind the whole time.
    "Why did I throw this away?"
     I regret everything sense leaving him. I wish I never had, but foolishly I thought the grass was greener somewhere else and it was merely a facade.
     We get rolling down the road, listening out to some rock and roll off his phone. All's good. Were joking and laughing. Then his phone dies and were left in an awkward scilence for a while. When suddenly
      "I miss us. I wish we could go back to it. Being the angst-y couple that never does anything right but yet remains ontop of the world." It just fell out of my mouth. I didn't even know what I was saying.
       He gave a soft chuckle and glanced at me and moved his hand closer to mine. "I do too. It was nice. We were happy."
      I beem a smile at him. And give my head a slight shake sending what once was blonde waves but were damped to a brown stringy mess bouncing around my shoulders. "Yeah, we were. We have some good memories."
     "Like me constantly telling you not to stand on the bleachers during marching band because I knew you would lose your balance and hurt yourself?" He gave a soft laugh and shook his head sending small water droplets off his dark hair and onto his glasses.
       "Or snow coming where we left an hour early because it was so cringey and we were both severely uncomfortable." I covered my mouth with my hand and started laughing thinking about that hideous dress I wore.
       "How you sang to me even if you were off key when we danced." He smiled and glanced at me.
      "Or how I tripped on a pencil when you came over and hit my head off my bed frame." I softly rub the spot on my forehead and I smile, then quickly frown and look out the window at the water droplets running down it.
     "We have a lot of good memories. It was fun." He glanced over and grabs my hand and starts stroking it with his thumb. "It'll be okay. We'll be okay."
      I just shook my head and squeezed his hand and quickly wiped away tears with the other one and dropped both of them into my lap.
     He pulled into my drive way and turned off his car.
      I don't get out. I sit there staring in front of the car at my garage. Not ready to leave him.
      He turns and looks at me. "Are you okay?"
    I quickly nod my head while I have tears rolling down my face, I can feel the trail of saltiness left behind.
   He turns and faces front. We're still holding hands.
     I look at him. Not crying now but smiling. I set my head on his shoulder. I can feel the dampness of his shirt and the coolness of his skin throughout the thin cotton layer.
      He sets his head on top of mine and makes it so I have my arms wrapped around his arm and he's holding both of my hands. Dwarfed by his but a comfortable fit between his fingers. "My Queen?"
        I look up at him speechless. He's the only one that's ever called me that. "My king." I nuzzle into him so my cheek is on his shoulder and I'm as close as I can get to him.
      He kissed my forehead and stroked my hand.
     I didn't want to leave. Our damp hair touching, the comfort of our interlocking fingers and the pressure of each others class rings into our skin. The thin layer of cotton between my cheek and his shoulder. I take in a slow deep breath and it's everything from the day mingling into a familiar smell. My shampoo mixing with his natural musk, sunscreen that has probably opened in my bag again, and McDonald's fries.
    I looked up and I leaned in and kissed him full on the mouth. A long kiss that has been long over due. We broke apart and I blushed and grabbed all my stuff.
     "I love you." He turns the car back on.
      I blush and gasp. I didn't expect him to say anything this soon. "I love you too. My king?" I stand up and hold the door open.
      "Every good King needs a queen, beautiful." He smiled
      "I suppose that's true. I'll see you tomorrow morning. Good night. Drive safe." I smiled and shut the door and rushed inside.
     I quickly said my good night's to my family and went into my room listening to what was our song. Yellow by Coldplay. I played it on repeat, replaying the evening over and over in my mind. I drifted into a peaceful sleep smiling.
       Good night my king. ❤👑