Skylark

Watching the birds settle in their nests from a far is quite a sight. Watching the clouds and laying on a bed of grass was my perspective of fun.

"Laurel come in, time for lunch. said Laurels mother(Julie)

Yes mother. said Laurel

I ran inside and there was stew in the cauldron above the fire and it smell like beef and butter. Mother was preparing the table for us two to settle down and eat. It's really lonely here since my dad died. My father Harold was killed in a hunting accident. But at least I still have my mother. It's really heartbreaking seeing an empty chair at the end of the table.

"Extra beef or soup oil?" asked Julie

"Um soup oil more than beef."replied Laurel

It was really nice to have something in my stomach. So now I can lay outside longer without having the burden of being hungry. A large and powerful breeze came along and brought a beauty with it. This beauty was a baby bird. It looked awfully scrawny and scared. I took it inside to inspect it. I went into the cupboard to get a bucket and I filled it with bath water. The bird wasn't exactly the cleanliness thing. So I decided to give it a warm relaxing bath.

         "You're quite the savior Laurel." said Julie

I turned back to the bird and placed under a laundry basket that has tiny hole until I finished making the cage. My mother brought me some thin flexible twigs. My next move was going into the garden and getting an elephant ear leaf, and punch some holes in the top so I can bind the twigs. Finally the cage was spacious and comfortable. Mother went to the market and brought bird seeds and a flower bed so the birdie can settle in.

"Why dear aren't you going to give the poor thing a name?"asked Julie

"Why of course how could I ever forget. How about Speckle?"asked Laurel

"It's your baby now honey you name it whatever."replied Julie

        Night fall arrived without a warning. I fed Speckle and placed her in the cage and moved the cage into my room by the screened window. Speckle fell asleep in a heart beat and so did I. Mother came to tuck me in and blow out the candle light.

"Good morning my dearest. I'm off to the market and breakfast is on the table. Feed Speckle and I'll be back in time for lunch. Bye now."Julie waved farewell

I raced to the kitchen and let Speckle out and placed he on the perch. I poured her seeds and water, while I scraped the pancake of the pan onto my plate. Chirp, Chirp, Chirp. Speckle was hopping around the table. I washed my dish and took Speckle outside on my finger. Immediately she was fluttering two inches above the ground, I had just remembered that when you're a chick you can't fly. But at least she can roam free in the open. Me of course laid in the grass watching the clouds pass.     

          BOOM! BANG! Thunder announced itself telling all that it's going to rain. I quickly ran to catch Speckle, bit I couldn't find her. The more I ran my hair felt like it was getting tugged on. I delicately touched the back of my head and Speckle was on my head. It began raining, I scurried inside. Thank goodness we got in before it would start to rain harder.

                                        Chapter 2

                               Becoming Attached

        Speckle was damp. Poor thing, I grabbed a wash cloth from the bathroom and wrapped it around her to keep warm. For a moment I gazed at Speckle and wondered for a moment where was mother. It was almost time for dinner, she said that she'll be back in time for lunch. How long could it possibly take to get back. My instinct was to take Speckle and put her in the cage and fill her food bowls. Next I put on my rain jacket and boot. I locked up the house and put my hood over because it was raining and go find mother. As I was running in the rain 2 miles away from home I found her shoe in a puddle. My adrenaline was pumping. I ran more, the market was right in front of me and I found her hat on a bed of flowers. Where could she be? There must be someone who has seem her. I asked the shopkeeper and they said she headed home not too long ago.  The storm got more powerful, I ran back home to see if she was already there.