I Won't Give Up

Prologue

I remember that day like it was yesterday..

The day all my dreams were shattered. 

And I lost everything.

~

I was on my way to my second gig at a local restaurant. I was going to play the acoustic guitar and sing. My first gig was a week earlier at a bar where I worked at, 'cause the band that was supposed to perform, canceled. I was a hit. A lot of people offered me some gigs at some local bars and restaurants. I planned on doing them all, one by one. The first one I chose was the farthest from home so that the next one won't be too far.

I was accompanied by my mom because she wanted to see me play. She supported me, no matter what. I love her.

She was driving. I was seated at the backseat with my baby---my acoustic. I really loved playing the guitar. It was my dream to play the guitar. I lived for music. I love music. It didn't matter if got famous or not. When my boss just said that the band cancelled, I asked my boss immediately if I can take their spot. I started playing about three years ago. My mom taught me all she knew. I didn't know where she learned to. But, I didn't question her.

"So, do you think they'll like me?" I asked my mom, as we were halfway to our destination.

"Of course, Honey. You play like a professional. You feel the music when you play and sing. Anybody with sense can see that." She told me. See? That's why I love her. She supports me, has confidence in me, and she always encourages me when I'm nervous or insecure.

It all happened so fast. A car was speeding and passed through a red light. And unfortunately, our car was the one passing the intersection at the time. It hit our car as soon as we were passing through. Our car swerved and veered into the building at the corner. The other car hit the post on the opposite side of the road. 

My head hit the window, I yelped in pain. I reached for my head and I felt blood there. My right elbow hit the door and I felt a crack and my wrist hit the front seat and yet again I felt a crack. It hurt so much. I suddenly felt my energy lessen. I felt so tired. So painful...

I heard a groan in the driver's seat. I turned my head to look---even though it was painful--with the energy I had left. I nearly gasped as I saw my mother. She was bleeding. I tried to reach out, but I was too weak to do so.

"Mom, are you okay?" I asked weakly.

"Aph..." I heard her moan.

I grunted in response, I was too weak to say anything.

"Aph.. I love you.. Go.. to.. your father..I can't... make it.." I nearly stopped breathing when she mentioned my father. They were divorced for nearly five years. He was caught cheating on my mom. Yup, my mom was one of those strong single moms. And I was an only child, too.

"I love you.." She repeated, whispering.

"I love you, too, Mom." God, I felt so helpless. After my parents' divorce, the last thing I want be was being helpless. I didn't want to be a burden to my mother. 

"Mom... please don't leave me...help's almost here.." I said, nearly whispering, when I heard the sirens in the distance. Then everything went black.

I slowly opened my eyes and all I saw was white. The first thought that came to mind was, Am I in Heaven? I looked around and quickly realized I was in a hospital when I saw the needle in the back of my palm and all the machines, including the one that shows how fast my heart beats. I was alone. 

"Mom?" I asked when all the memories of last night came back to me. My throat felt very dry when I spoke. I quickly sat up and pain shot up my head. I tried to use my right hand to touch my head. Then I realized it was in a cast. I didn't cry or anything. Just felt sad. 'Cause I know I can't be playing the guitar for a long time in this condition. I quickly click the buzzer that calls a nurse. 

A nurse came rushing in and her eyes widened as she saw me sitting and awake. She went out and called a doctor. 

A doctor came rushing in and asked me questions about what I remembered---the date, my name, age and stuff. It was a day after the accident.

"Where's my mom?" I quickly asked him as he was finished with the questions.

He hesitated before saying, "I'm sorry. She didn't make it."

I broke down. Yup, you heard right. The strong-I-won't-cry-because-i-broke-my-arm-and-hates-being-helpless Aphrodite Meyers cried. 

Starting this day, I vow to never play music, again.

This was the day I lost everything, and all my dreams were shattered. 

I'm Aphrodite Isabel Meyers. And this is my story.

~

Hey there, this is my first story in Wattpad. If anything's wrong in it, please point it out. Thanks. I really appreciate it. 

~Kim