Groundbreaking Information: "Mahatma" Gandhi

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
Published August 2016
By Tom O'Neill
Photographs by Rena Effendi

The date was March 12, 1930. Gandhi and his troops walked for 25 days and 241 miles to the Arabian Sea to defy the unjust British law that prohibited the collection of salt in its colony. Master of the dramatic gesture, Gandhi bent over near the shore and scooped up a handful of salty mud. As illegal salt-gathering spread across the country, arrests and beatings followed. Gandhi was jailed for almost nine months.

What authorities had dismissed as a minor act of political theater swelled into a nationwide cry for independence. A broad array of India's population—high caste and low, male and female, Hindu and Muslim—for the first time joined in protest against British rule. Now the masses had a leader. From the day he began the Salt March until his death 18 years later, Gandhi infused India with a revolutionary blend of politics and spirituality. He called his action-based philosophy satyagraha, or truth force.

How much do you really know about Mahatma Gandhi, however? First off, his real name isn't Mahatma.

Based off of long lost diary entries written by Gandhi himself found by National Geographic in the ruins of the jail in which he was imprisoned, we can deduce some truly groundbreaking information on "Mahatma

Based off of long lost diary entries written by Gandhi himself found by National Geographic in the ruins of the jail in which he was imprisoned, we can deduce some truly groundbreaking information on "Mahatma." In his diary entries, Gandhi writes eloquently about his personal strife in jail, but the first entry dates back to just before Gandhi's first aforementioned public protest in 1930. In this entry, Gandhi introduces himself as "Ferrari Gandhi," and explains (translated from Sanskrit)-

"In light of recent events involving British taxation of salt in India, I have decided to organize a peaceful protest... I will first present my first name to the public as 'Mahatma,' rather than Ferrari, because I believe this new name will earn me more respect from the people."

As it turns out, "Mahatma" was only Ferrari Gandhi's "stage name," as we would call it today. It makes sense that Gandhi would "earn more respect" with the name Mahatma, because Mahatma means a person regarded with respect in South Asia.

In later entries after his rise to reverence, Ferrari reveals a possibly even more surprising fact- he had a twin brother.

"I wanted to give a speech later this afternoon, but I have made the decision to allow my twin, Inferrari, to take the honor. I simply feel tired today, and quite honestly, Inferrari and I find our little switches quite humorous."

So not only did Ferrari have a twin named Inferrari, but this twin actually took over Gandhi's speech making multiple times, as implied by this quotation. This would explain why some of Gandhi's speeches were sometimes less eloquent than others- something the world has always inferred to be a side effect of his frequent hunger strikes.

Gandhi's impact was indelible. He guided India to independence. He forced his countrymen to question their deepest prejudices about caste and religion and violence. Finding this new information has greatly increased our insight on his highly impactful leadership.