Prologue: Awakening

The early morning hours began to leak small rays of sunshine through the blinds of the room. The light poured out onto sections of the bed and spread across the floor. A desk fan gave a somewhat relaxing white noise to the room. The air carried a slight chill and a fading smell of dirty clothes that bounced between the walls.
     The sudden buzzing of an alarm clock interrupted the peacful scene. Bed sheets began to ruffle and quiet sighs escaped the mouth of the boy that was once so sound asleep. Arms reached from under blankets and began to whipe at big blue eyes plagued by redness and sand.
     Once he was aware of his wakening state, he would lay there, starring blankly at his room. His attention would shift from the posters and the to family photos; Then to things like his stereo, his guitar and amplifier. His eyes entered a state of paralyzation as he glared once again at the ceiling as his mind became focused on reoccuring thoughts that seemed out if his control.
     He would allow one final thought to stroll through his head before he finally sat up and began his morning routine. The thought that came to him was somewhat disturbing, but he ignored it, brushing it off and continuing on with his day.
     The boy who is called, Joe, slipped into a pair of faded black joggers and a white t-shirt followed by a set of brown nike shoes and a black windbreaker bomber jacket. He combed his dark light brown, slightly blonde hair back and left his small room.
     A stench of cat urine and cigarettes lurked in the hall as he walked through it into the living room. The room was freezing cold. There was clothes, trash, dishes and his brothers and their friends scattered across the floors and furniture in a state of slumber. This was not uncommon, for his home was a sort of recreational center for anyone who might be dragged in by either of his brothers or him.
     The kitchen gave a strange feeling every time he would enter it. The condition of it was no better than that of the living room. Miscellaneous junk, dirty tiles, broken cupboards and so on. He retrieved cereal and milk and started to eat a rather large bowl. He had a fast metabolism and was fairly skinny, so he had no problem eating as much as he did, he was at a point where many would consider him more on the muscular side actually.
     After finishing with brushing his teeth and washing up he collected his book bag and headed toward the door. Prior to leaving he would take one last look at the house, he opened the door, let out a faint sigh of disappointment, and left.