Part 1

"So, where to now? New York, LA, ooh, how about Vegas?!" I ask Ms. Hannigan. Ms. Hannigan, by the way, is my social worker, who was assigned to me when I was nine after the other one ran for the hills. Ms. Hannigan is an old, bitter lady, with no sense of humor, and a lazy eye that seems to follow your every move. Creepy.

"No, Giavanna, you aren't going to New York, or LA, or Vegas. After twelve years in the system, I should assume you know that you don't select the family or location. You will be going to stay with the Carsons. A lovely young man, with a little girl and a very nice wife." She said.

"That's what you said about the Carters, and I have scars that suggest otherwise," I mutter under my breath.

"How many times have I told you not to mumble, it's very rude you know." Ms. Hannigan huffed. "Please, just try with them... I truly believe you will be pleasantly surprised with them. Just give them a chance!" She pleaded.

"Yeah, not making any promises here, lady. You and I both know that the day I decide to actually stay with a family for more than a week, is the day that I am being held there against my will."

"Oh dear God, what am I going to do with this child," she mumbled.

"How many times have I told you not to mumble, it's very rude," I mimic the words she said earlier.

"You know what, let's just go, I've dealt with my daily share of Giavanna... I don't want to see you here again for at least a month. Am I clear?

"Yes ma'am," I roll my eyes. "Now, who are these people again?"

"Babe, I still don't understand why you want to foster a kid, who's the poor soul anyway?" James asked his wife.

"I'm not sure, I simply asked for a foster child, and they said they had the perfect one in mind," Mary replied.

"That is never promising, dear. I hope they like little kids, though."

The sound of the doorbell echoed through the small house and woke the sleeping child upstairs. Mary rushed to retrieve the young girl, whom they had named Grace, while James went to open the door. There was a girl there, roughly 17 years of age. He sucked in a breath.. those eyes, they were just like Giavanna's. No, he shook his head slightly to clear the thoughts from his mind.

"Hello," the woman said, smiling brightly. She reached out her hand and they shook.

"My name is Ms. Hannigan, but I insist you call me Sophia. This one here is-"

"Gia." she interrupted with a glare. "My name is Gia."

"Well, hello Gia, my name is James. Why don't the two of you come in, it's awfully cold out there? Sophia, would you like something to drink?"

"No, but thank you," she refused politely.

"What about you Gia?" I asked.

"Pass." I heard the footsteps coming down the stairs, and Mary came out, balancing Grace in one arm while extending the other to Gia.

"Hello, my name is Marian, but my friends call me Mary," Mary said while still reaching out.

Gia looked at it with suspicion, and a hint of fear, as though she was afraid Mary would hit her. And then, my heart broke with the realization that it had probably happened before, and that this was what Giovanna's life could have become. She could, for all I know, be locked up in some drunk bastard's cellar while he drank the days away, or stuck in an overcrowded orphanage, or maybe be locked up in some jail. Looking at Gia, I realized that she was the same age as Giovanna is now... and she looked a lot like her, too. Odd.

The poor girl must be terrified. A new family, new school, new house, everything was new around here for this girl. And it happens everywhere she goes...

"-and the bathroom is down the hall, the last door on the left. Your bedroom is upstairs, first door on the right. James," she swatted my arm gently, waking me from my reverie. "Why don't you help Gia with the rest of her bags. Where are they, dear?"

"This is it. Just this one backpack." Gia shrugged nonchalantly, as though it was no big deal that she only had a small backpack, and that was the only thing to her name.

"Are you sure, dear? What about clothes, shoes, toothbrushes, hygiene products, and they're all in that little bag?" Mary looked confused.

"Why would I need all that stuff, it's just a bunch of dead weight? Most places already have the basics: toothbrush, hairbrush, things like that," Gia waved it off casually.

"Well then Gia, why don't I show you to your room and get you settled in, and we can get you more clothes tomorrow?" Mary asked, with a strained, clearly forced smile. I watched as the three disappeared up the stairs, and returned my attention to Sophia.

"So, about her files? May I see them?"

"Of course. But I warn you now, it may be quite disturbing. The girl's seen a lot in her days, I'm afraid."