the shadow crawler chronicles Book 1

The lost families

“Dad they’re everywhere!” My son screamed in horror. “Run Tim run.” I yelled back. But It was too late he was gone along with my soon to be wife Katelyn. Suddenly I woke with a start. But sadly my family being gone was a reality. It all started two years ago. These evil shadowy creatures we call shadow crawlers invaded, they slaughtered us one by one, my friends were captured or killed in the result of this chaos and desolation. Two days ago they took my family. Ever since I’ve been having the same nightmare of that day, the day I swore I’d save them or die trying. My name Is Tom Anderson and I will save any and all survivors I come across on my way to my family.

In search for my family every hollowed out and burned house I pass saddens me even more. For the reason that we were the only survivors I know of in the whole devastated city of Toronto. As I see many scorched trees, I notice one untouched by the maelstrom of chaos next to a half collapsed House. Suddenly it occurred to me that there may be some survivors in what may be the most livable house within a mile of this destroyed town I used to love. I walk cautiously to the entrance. Slowly I open the door, gun In hand. Suddenly, I hear a high pitched scream, so I busted through the door, and I spotted a shadow crawler fighting with a tall muscular man with family cowering behind him. I take out my gun slowly as not to alert the small shadow crawler. Quickly I let out a full clip of ammunition on the creature that's been haunting my dreams. As the filthy demon falls to the ground I see how hurt the man Is, blood running down his arm, a thick layer of blood sliding down from his forehead. “Is everyone alright,” I asked worriedly. “Mostly,” the man says jokingly. “My names John, this Is my wife Lois, and my son Jack.” “I thought my family and I were the only survivors left in this city,” I croaked. “So where is your family?” Lois interrogated. I look down mournfully. “My family was caught by an enemy patrol two days ago,” I choked. “I am so sorry, I didn't know,” she cried. “It’s ok, but I could use your help John.” “With what?” he asked. “Getting back the lost families,” I say bravely. He looks at his family and looks back at me. “Lois, Jack, come here, I need to help him, but I will not leave you two here without protection so we will find a place where you will be safe,” whispered john, “I will help you but my family is the priority, we must find a safe haven for them and any other survive-...” “I know we can’t go right into their stronghold with just two people.” I interrupted. "We need food, shelter, weapons, and most of all help."

"Where should we start?" I continued. "I heard of a camp full of refugees that survived the attack about 10km out of the city limits, we've been too cornered to go ourselves." explained John. "Ok, but how will we get there?" I asked. "There was a car down the street, it may still work. But if it does it might attract the shadow crawlers to the sound." said Lois. "She’s right, but if we use some sort of distraction we could get away easy. And I know what to do! We need to find a way to turn on the car from a long distance and make it drive by putting something on the pedal." I explained.  "We will also need another transport that doesn't make much noise."  I continued.  "I will go on the roof and see if I can find anything.  Hey look there's a ranch over there, maybe there are some horses that are still alive!" shouted john.  

“Everyone grab what you need, as soon as possible we head for that ranch.”  I said triumphantly.  I watched them as they collected what they had left thinking about what I have other than an old m9 pistol and the clothes on my back, but nothing came to mind but things I lost to those evil demons.  They collected food and some things covered in rubble and trash.  After a while they were all done getting their stuff we went off for the ranch.  “Wait look over there. “Exclaimed john.  On the ground not too far away was an enemy shadow rifle.  It doesn't need ammo it absorbs darkness and concentrates the energy in the direction it’s pointing.  “Quick grabs it!”  I yelled.  John snatched it within seconds.  “How does it work.” asked Lois.  “My friend got hand of one once.  You absorb darkness with this button and you’ll have 100 shots before u need to recharge it.”  I explained.  “What happened to your friend if he had such a powerful weapon?”  Asked Lois.  “He got cocky and blew up.”  With shock still on their faces we continued to the ranch.  After 10 minutes of walking we finally got to the ranch.  We all went straight to the stable.  There were 8 horses and a pony.  “Should we take them all?”  Questioned Jack.  “Yes we should.”  I answered.  Just as I finish a flashing light appears in the sky the west.  “It looks like a flare!” “That’s in the direction of the refugee camp.”  We all got on a horse strapped the others together and rode in that direction.  Within 5 minutes we were there and the view was devastating there was nothing left but a few burn houses and shredded corpses.  “HELP!!!”  “This way.”  There were 6 men hiding behind some rubble with 3 large shadow crawlers advancing on them.  I quickly charged up the shadow rifle and killed them one shot each.  “Are you ok?”  I asked.  One of them looks around.  “Some of us are.”  They all got up and looked around the camp.  “NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”  One of them shrieked.  “CAROLINE!!”  “They’re heading for the base."  said another.  “I thought this was the base.”  I said.  “No this is an outpost.”  He responded.  “Save them."  He fell silent. 

"Everyone follow me."  said the one I think to be the leader.  "I need to get you to the base."  they got onto the horses we brought and we rode off to their main base.  as soon as we got there we were greeted with a swarm of shadow crawlers of all sizes, some were even armoured!  "Tommy and Jackrabbit take the right flank with the civilians.  Locland and Dilan take the left.  I'll go head on with him."  The leader commanded.  "I'm Duncan."  He said as we moved out.  "I'm Tom."  I responded.  We both redeed our weapons as the creatures got closer and closer we fired at them acurately and presisely.  the armoured ones apraoched to the point where we needed to fight hand to hand.  when I finaly battled off the demon I was already being draged by two more witch I shot down easily.  one bit duncan so I shot it right in time as it was about to deal a blow to his neck.  when the monstrousity fell to the ground I helped Duncan off the rocky floor.