The Fraud

Prologue

"The young ones are pampered too much to become a warrior in their adulthood." I could see his eyes sparkling from afar, no signs of nervousness, just a firm assurance.

"In this place you will learn to become the Alphas of Alphas, or" His breath wavered, "you can die."

A blanket of silence covered the mass room, and I was sure that everyone could hear my rapidly beating heart.

"Any, who wants to go back within the boundaries of safety may sign out and leave through the back door."

No one moved.

The head Alpha smiled genuinely, though it seemed more like a Cheshire grin.

"I see everyone has made their choice. Now, I will end with the very words our King Alpha has honored upon us in the beginning of times."

"Remember Alpha Napoleon. You will fight like him. Remember Alpha Genghis Khan. You will rule like him."

"Young ones, use your strength and be ready to face your own. The strong will survive, and the weak will perish."

His voice resonated in the big marble room, and after two complete seconds of silence, the students got the cue to clap. Some clapped softly while others were whistling, hollering and howling.

And I just stood there. Feeling somewhat isolated in the middle of many agitated young Alpha-bloods, thinking,

No, he is wrong. They will all be dust by the time I'm done.

-------------

Inspired by the wonderful novel, Red Rising by Pierce Brown.