Chapter 1

Saturday| 15:24|Sept 23, 2017

The screen beneath Baden's face cast an eerie blue shimmer, only further defining the expression of anxiety. His thick brows were furrowed and his ice blue eyes glistened in the light illuminating beneath them.

"Turn yourself in or the girl dies."

Baden's hand grasped at the phone as the text stared back up at him. His mind was racing a million miles per second, but there was only one constant... her.

HONK!

Baden jerked his head to face the noise and found himself in the middle of crossing a bustling intersection. He tucked the phone back into his jean pocket and dashed across the road. His feet sloshed in the puddles beneath them.

The sky was dark, and full of grey clouds. One might have thought the sun had already set, but it was only three in the afternoon. The clouds had rolled over earlier that morning and had been pouring down rain ever since. The air was hot and humid, making it difficult enough to breath; even more so when you're on the run.

Baden stepped up onto the curb and stopped to look into the window of a corner shop. The reflection of the glass revealed a seventeen year-old boy in jeans and an over-sized, navy blue hoodie. His features remained dark and hidden, all except for his eyes. The boot line of his pants were stained brown with mud and his hoodie was speckled with rain and sagged at his sides. His face was a little smudged and his hair was a wet, sloppy mess. Baden looked very much like a homeless person wandering the streets, which wasn't really far off from the truth.

Baden focused his gaze past his reflection to see the local news report on the television in the corner shop. The reporter stood holding a mic and umbrella. Her bright red outfit provided drastic contrast to the dull scene behind her. She stood in front of a nearly demolished building which appeared to be a factory of some sort. By the burn marks and areas of critical damage, it could be logically concluded that the structure had imploded rather than been bombarded from the outside. The white, highlighted caption of the news report read:

... EARLIER THIS AFTERNOON. THE AUTHORITIES HAVE YET TO FIND THE CAUSE OF THIS MASS DESTRUCTION, YET THEY BELIEVE THEY HAVE SEVERAL LEADS. A REPLAY OF THE SURVEILLANCE FOOTAGE SHOWS TWO UNAUTHORIZED CIVILIANS HAD BEEN SPOTTED ON THE SITE JUST BEFORE...

The picture on the television changed to show the backs of two hooded figures walking towards the structure.

Baden's face tightened as he turned to pass the corner store. He lifted his sleeve-covered hand to pull the hood further over his face. His feet splashed in the rain, soaking the rim of his jeans.

The busy city around him continued to bustle as though it were simply another normal day in the world. Baden felt he was the only one that thought differently. Everyone was so unaware of what was going on around them.

The six-story buildings towered over the streets, swallowing them whole. Baden felt trapped, not only by his circumstances, but also by his surroundings. Everything around him was busy and overcrowded. There was little room to move and even less room to think. His mind was racing through many alternatives, but his head was clouded somehow. He kept looping back through the same thoughts, unable to move forward.... He felt trapped.

Baden's forehead beaded with sweat. A nervous energy burned inside his chest. Was she alright? Was she safe? What would he do next?

He started to let his fear take over; he began to doubt his ability... and worst of all, he began to doubt himself.

Questions ran through his head. Second guessing... doubt... shame... conviction...

Inside him brewed an emotional storm that he was about to unleash... more violent than even he knew.

Baden's feet guided him step by step, while his mind raced beyond comprehension.

He walked down into the quiet, underground subway.

The dark sky rumbled overhead and the violent stormed ripped at him from inside. He hadn't yet planned on what he'd do next, but he'd made up his mind on where he was headed.

The overhead lights flickered as the next subway stopped. Baden boarded behind three other passengers.

The ride to the explosion site was interrupted by many frequent stops; passengers got off while fewer got on. Pretty soon the whole compartment was completely empty... all except for the quiet, hooded teenager... about to release a storm.