The Hunger Games (Book One)

Author's Note: This how I imagine The Hunger Games trilogy went.  Yes, some scenes are the same.  ALL CHARACTERS AND PLACES BELONG TO SUZANNE COLLINS! Now, onto the story!

Sunlight fills the house as I open my gray eyes.  My brown hair is sticking to my neck, which means it was humid last night.  Mother left the window open, as always.  Almost everyone from the Seam, where I live, has gray eyes and brown hair.  I look at Prim's beautiful face, the face that she inherited from my mother.  Mother used to live in the richer part of town.  She comes from an apothecary family.  I braid my hair quickly.  I slide into my father's old hunting boots and big jacket and silently leave the house.

I climb through the electric fence and smile.  Fools.  All of the Peacekeepers are fools.  As I run through the sticky forest, I find my bow and arrow.  I run further, until I'm in the open meadow.  I see a doe, but as I pull back the bow, Gale jumps out of nowhere.  I scream, and the doe runs off.  "I hate  you, Gale," I snap.  He laughs.  "C'mon Catnip!" he laughs as we sit in the meadow.  Silence fills the air.  I can hear the badum, badum of Gale's heartbeat.  "The reaping," I finally say.   He falls back in the field, and it is silent for a little longer until he finally says, "We could run."

"Run where?"

"Run away.  We could make it,"

I instantly think of Prim.  My mother.  I can't leave them.  "I can't leave Prim or Mother.  You have your family and I swore Prim to not sign any tessraes," I say, twiddling grass between my fingers.  The big clock chimes 13 times.  "How many times are you in this year?" I ask. Gale is 17, so close to his last year.  "42," he sighs.  "20," I reply.  "I think I need to go.  Get ready for the reaping," he sighs.  I follow him home.  I pick a dozen strawberries and Gale gets a squirrel on the way.  When we get in, Gale comes with me to the mayor's house to give strawberries.  Madge smiles at us.

"Here ya go," I smile, noticing her golden pin.  "Thank you Katniss!" she smiles, then gives me a bear hug, "I hope we're safe." "You're always safe, Madge.  You're the mayor's daughter," Gale snaps.  Madge just kept her smile, "You too, Gale."  We leave and stop by the bakery, where Gale trades his squirrel for warm bread. He splits it in half and gives me a half.  I look into his beautiful eyes.  "Happy Hunger Games!" I laugh, mocking Effie Trinket.  "And may the odds be ever in your favor." He finishes.  I hug him tightly and walk inside my house.

"I picked this one out for you," Mother says warmly, laying a pale blue dress down.  I disregard her and smile at Prim.  "Tuck in your tail, little duck," I laugh.  I tuck in her dress and braid her hair.  Deciding to be polite for the reaping, I wear Mother's dress.  She braids my hair neatly and we leave. 

On our way, we see some neighbors get cuffs on by Peacekeepers.  One of them is Lily, who is a 12 year old who could've been pulled.  I bump into Gale, and we arrive in the square.  My guts are jelly.  Prim wiggles through in the twelve year old section.  Gale stiffens up as Effie Trinket walks onto stage.  Gale relaxs and smiles at me.  I imagine he isn't worried.  He has made it this far, hasn't he?  The mayor gives his speech about why The Hunger Games were made.  Then the real fun comes.  "Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" she says.  "As always, ladies first!"  She pulls a name out and I can't believe what I'm hearing.  "Primrose Everdeen!"

Author's Notel: I know, it is very similar.  But it will get different.  And, I might be able to find something cool for my readers(: Keep reading, my friends!