The Runner

•|STORYLINE|•

Syrena is a young woman. She lives here in Area 17, with strict rules and ways, Spouses are chosen, Homes are chosen, Pets are chosen, No children under 24, and No Leaving. all of this is chosen by the Head Council. The punishment for breaking these rules.. Is death. Syrena is 20, has a son and a great family. But, Syrena must leave. It is not long before the Head Council gets suspicious and begins monitoring her. She must escape Area 17, herself, and all she ever knew.

•|CHAPTER 1|•

I looked into my mirror and combed my long wavy hair. I watched as my straightener steamed, signaling it was ready. I did up my hair in a bun, and looked at Max, my Bernese Mountain Dog. I looked into the crib,to see my son, James, crawling in his crib with a stuffed bunny, gurgling with delight as he batted Bunny around. I lifted him up and cooed: "Ok bud, are you hungry?" He gurgled and smiled. I smiled back and went out to the kitchen and grabbed some baby food out of the fridge. I sat James in high chair and looked at the label. "Ok bud, its Blueberries and Apples for breakfast.." I fed him quietly and my dad came into the room. He kissed my forehead and said "Morning, my baby girl." And I smiled and said "Morning daddy, If you want, I could make you my special omelets..." Before he could reply, I went into the kitchen and fired up the stove. I cut vegetables and all of his favorite things and put it in along with the eggs.  "Hey doll, did you know a redhead with hazel eyes at school?" My father said. "Yeah, her name was Charlotte, she was my best friend when we were like, 7. Why?" "Hm, I heard Charlotte tried to escape, and now they have her restrained because she is a minor. We could go to see her, visiting hours start in 20 minutes." I thought for a moment. I should visit Charlotte. She was my friend when we were little, so I went to ask Mom if she could babysit James. "Of course hon, Ill babysit my sweet little grandson ^-^" And I said "Give him vegetables for lunch, and we should be back by then. I love you mom." "I love you too sweetheart, bye." I went into my room, and Max greeted me by the door. I took off my pajamas and slipped into my jeans and teal t-shirt. I grabbed my purse and leather jacket, and left.

•|CHAPTER 2|•

I take a deep breath and push the door open. I walk towards the front desk. I speak shyly, yet calmly. "Hello, I'm here to see Charlotte. Charlotte Douglas." The receptionist smiles and replies "Right this way." My father and I follow the woman into a surprisingly large room complete with a bathroom, bed, dresser and wardrobe. The room is painted a sky blue colour. "Surprisingly bright and friendly." I thought to myself. All of a sudden a thin figure with wild red hair and hazel eyes filled with rage and fear jumps towards me. I jump back, realizing its only Charlotte. "Why are you here?" Charlotte snaps. "I'm here to help you escape." I whisper, and the rage and fear drains. Now all I see is trust.

"You're r-really going to help me get out?"

Charlotte whispered hopefully. "Yes. We were best friends when we were little, and I couldn't leave you here to rot. But anyway, what happened to our friendship?" Charlotte sighed. "It started when my Aunt Clementine died. We were so much alike.. same wild red hair. But I always wished I had her eyes.. They were beautiful. Dark blue, and they had a special sparkle I couldn't get over. And we were so close.. My Uncle Leo k-i-killed he-her." She stammered. "I-I'm so sorry Charlotte.. I remember her. She gave you coconut chocolate, and me caramel chocolate, every Monday. She sent them in our lunches with notes.. I liked her alot.." Charlotte slumped into the plush, bright green couch. I sat with her, hoping I could comfort her.

We then shared stories of her Aunt Clementine, as we laughed, cried and smiled. "Now, I'll think up a plan, and I'll come on Thursday to tell you all about it."

•|CHAPTER 3|•

**Wednesday**

I had my plan ready for Charlotte.

I got ready to go for the visiting hours, and I asked mom quick is she could watch James. "Yes, of course dear." My dad took me to the hospital so we could visit Charlotte. I walked slowly into the room, The warm scent of cinnamon and warm dew filling my nostrils. Charlotte smiled with pure amusement.  "You're early." She looked down.  "Yeah, I guess so.." My voice trailed off as I felt something wet in my shoes. I looked down. The room was filling up with water.

"What do we do!?" Charlotte half-screamed. "I DON'T KNOW WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME?!" I suddenly heard a bit of static, and I hear a voice over the hospitals intercom. "I knew you two would team up. Now you'll drown here!" I suddenly heard thumping from the window to my left. "Dad!" The water was up to our waists now. He began kicking the window until it broke big enough for us to fit. Dad helped Charlotte, then me. As we ran out, I said quietly "Bad day to wear jeans.." I spied the door and veered toward it. We jumped into the car and drove home.