Mystery Girl

"How has the school life been?"

I turned slightly and give Lauren a tight lipped smile at her question.

It's only been the first week, Lauren. I sign to her slowly as we keep walking down the forest trail.

I recall my first week being here at UCF and so far... It's been uneventful here besides the usual stares and comments thrown my way from my classmates. It's already the second year and people still have the need to bother me about it.

Lauren scoffs as she raises an eyebrow, stepping over a loose branch.

"Oh, really? A lot can happen in a week now, DJ."

I rolled my eyes. Not when school is involved.

Lauren grunted slightly from my side. "Whatever you know what I meant, Hansen."

I chuckle at hearing her before we finally make it to the small clearing. This is our usual spot at the park whenever we wanted to hang out away from others, for me to work on my photograph or whenever Lauren wanted to write.

With my camera already around my neck I just drop my bag on the floor as Lauren does the same. I started to walk forward before turning around to Lauren.

How's school been in Miami?

She smiled softly before sitting down on the grass. "It's been alright. Actually, I met an old friend of mine from high school."

I take my camera up and take a practice shot. I nod my head for her to continue as I walk around a bit more.

"She's going to attend UCF on Monday since she's been on a move."

I hum lowly as I aim my camera through the openings of the tree, the sun perfectly aligned across the horizon.

"So... you know what that means Dinah Jane."

I take a few photos, mentally cursing to myself as I see the last image came out blurry. I glance over at Lauren, seeing that same smirk on her face.

What is it supposed to mean, Jauregui?

I knew what she meant but a big part of me wished I didn't. Her smirk widened as she pulled out her journal, winking at me. "Oh, nothing, just that this could be your chance to get some."

I freeze before snapping my head over at her. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a girlfriend but most people wouldn't be understanding with me or have the patience that Lauren has.

I... I began to sign, pausing for a second. I don't know, Lauren. You know what happened between me and the last girl I dated.

She nodded her head, pulling out her pencils out of her bag.

"I understand that D, but this could be a chance for you to move past it completely and finally be happy because we both know that you aren't despite how much you try to deny it and tell me."

I stay silent at that, fiddling a bit with my camera.

"Dinah, I'm just saying that you should talk with her. She's a really sweet person that has the same humor as you, you two will definitely get along."

I bit the inside of my cheek as I think over Lauren's words. I look over at her before giving her a small smile.

For you, I'll give it a try.

Lauren clapped her hand together while she smiled. "Awesome! Trust me, you won't regret this."

We then fall into a comfortable silence for a while, just doing our own thing. When it was already starting to get dark we packed our things and started our walk back to my dorm. Luckily, the park is across from campus so it wasn't much of a walk. As we entered into my dorm, we find it quiet.