A Sad Tale of Failure and Betrayal

I walked out of the building and straightened my tie. Suddenly my 'phone rang.

‘Yes?'

‘It’s Sheffi”. There’s a problem. Meet me at Nadi as-Sa”ada in 20 minutes.’

I heard quick breathing, the crack of boots hitting the ground and the shouts of plebs, then the line went dead. What could he want? I started the car and drove down the road, turning onto Harun as thoughts turned themselves round in my head.

‘Peace be upon ye, Mustafa.’

‘And upon ye be peace.’

I walked past without breaking stride, leaving him to his hungover solitude, and sat down at a place next to the kerb. ‘Fi ahwa, fi shai, fi yansoon ba.’ Thus Sayyid, standing in the doorway, and I watched Mahmud grate against his suspicious mind as he attended to the various orders. I gestured to him as I lit up, and he brought my usual morning coffee in due course.

Soon enough, Sheffi” appeared from round the corner and strode briskly towards me.

‘Good morning.’

‘Good morning. What’s the matter?’

He shook his head. The peasants glanced querulously over at the stranger in the suit. He sat down and lit a cigarette, raising his other hand, index finger and thumb extended. ‘Ahwa ziyaada.’

There was silence as I waited for him to continue, silence so dense that the harsh rattle of the street, the jocular cries of playing children, the vulgar repartee of the surrounding countrymen were swallowed up. An eternity passed as he lazily looked up, down, left, right, thinking. Another cup of coffee came.

His head snapped towards me, and I met his gaze. It had become completely blank. ‘Do you know why I asked you here?’

‘No.’

‘Seriously, help me: I’ve forgotten everything that’s ever happened in my life up to this moment. You need to carry me home since I’ve forgotten how to walk.’