Chapter 1 - New Jumpers

Preface: This is kind of character building so sorry for the slow pace, it will pick up in future chapters. 

Joe awoke, still confused by his new surroundings. He had only been living with his mother for a few days and adjusting to the environment was proving difficult, especially connecting with someone that had only communicated through birthday cards for the past 3 years. 
"Joe, you're breakfast is waiting on the table, hurry up!" The sound of his mother's wailing brought Joe back up to speed with events. His dad had been the victim of a hit and run outside the local bar - well what had been his local bar. After his death, Joe had to choose between moving halfway across the country to his adoring Grandparents, which would have thrown his academic life into turmoil, or moving to the next town to be with his begrudging mother. It wasn't a favourable choice, but it was the one that Joe felt as if he was forced to take. 

Over breakfast, Joe caught his mother scowling at him. 
"You know that you're making me go so far out of my way by not transferring schools." she scoffed at him.
"I've told you that If i transfer I will have to repeat the year. The college will retract the scholarship offer if i don't get the grades this year mom!"
"You're just lucky that I'm so loving towards you then son!" She slurped at her bowl of cornflakes with a deep hatred in her eyes. She had resented her son since she divorced his father, she could never accept that Joe had chosen him over her. It was only the feeling of obligation that had kept her in his life, and now this obligation had become a pain in the ass. "We leave at 7:30 sharp tomorrow morning, if you're not ready then I'm not waiting around for your ass. I'd much rather go straight back to bed."
"But I'll have to wait outside school for like 40 minutes! Its the middle of February and its freezing, come on mom!"
"7:30am take it or leave it buddy, I should have to go out of my way for a 16 year old know it all anyhow. Beggars cannot be choosers!" She snarled back.
"Fine, I'll be ready mom don't sweat it," Joe replied. He had expected that the atmosphere would be hostile with his mother, but it had been relentless since he had moved in. Any sympathy he thought he may have received at this difficult time had not been forthcoming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe awoke the next day, still slightly dazed. Eventually he dragged himself out of bed and went to his closet. He took out his school uniform, his shirt, tie, trousers and his blazer. He hated how nerdy the school uniform was, but he knew that his father had fought to get him into the best school in the area. And besides, he wasn't singled out, everybody at that school were in the same boat.

7:30am came around and sure enough Joe found himself being dragged to the car by his wretched mother.
"I've always hated this school, making you wear a uniform, thinking your better than everyone else. Better than me!" Joe's mom started.
 It would be a tense 45 minute journey, that would surely be made worse when Joe realised that he had forgotten his jacket.
"Oh shit," Joe murmured to himself, looking through his bag.
"I see that your father raised you to be a well spoken young man," his mother quipped. "What have you done you little runt?"
"You had me rushing around so much I've forgotten my jacket, I'm going to freeze waiting outside!" Joe seemed a little panicked, something which his mother picked up on.
"Do you not have a jumper you can wear?" asked his mother.
"No, only the geeky kids wear the school jumper. I do not want to be like one of those dorks! Its embarrassing to be associated with them!"
Joe's mother began to spot the opportunity to begin to get her own back on her son for ditching her. "Well that is a very immature mindset for a 16 year old to have Joe. I for one will not allow my own flesh and blood to freeze, so when we get to school I'll head into the reception and get you a jumper."
"Mom, I will not wear it so don't both..." 
"I AM NOT ALLOWING YOU TO FREEZE OUTSIDE JOSEPH!" Interrupted his mother. "I will buy you a jumper, and you will appreciate it you little shit. When someone offers you a gift you accept it. How dare you be so rude!" Joe knew that any protests would be in vain, his mother was determined for him to have a jumper. He sat there confused for the rest of the journey, why had his mother become seemingly caring about the well-being of her son? Little did he know the ulterior motives that his mother had.