Prologue

Prologue

~Rosalie~

Gasping, I stumbled through the woods. My long brown hair caught on to branches, my once beautiful face covered in blood and dirt. The villagers were behind me. I could smell the fire coming from their torches.

I didn't notice how my legs ached, of how my lungs were gasping for breath. The only thing that mattered now was how far the princess and her brother went. If the villagers caught me, then they would notice the people running beside me were fake, a mere glamour. I would be burned in their fury.

Just a little longer, I promised myself, before tripping and stumbling on a root and rolled down a hill.

Luckily, I splashed into a river. The distant yells grew even louder. "I can hear them!" they yelled.

Theyre going to get me!  I thought, an idea coming into my mind. It was foolhardy and might not work, but I was going to die anyway.

Trembling, I raised a finger and pointed to the illusions. Their dear faces stopped looking blissful for a moment and molded into expressions of terror. I pointed at the villagers, making them run towards them. With any hope it will cause enough confusion to delay them. Then, once it will calm down, they will go after me.

I ignored the wind and shaking limbs, standing up to run. Please, my Lady, I hope you and the prince are far away from here.

A wall of large oak leaves came into view. If it had been possible, my heart started beating faster. If there was one place the villagers would never go to, it was here.

Without noticing it, I started laughing out of the wild hope that I might live after all. Desperation filled me, giving me the energy to sprint towards the grove.

A few feet away from it, an arrow shot out and dug itself into my leg.

I cried out, dropping to the ground. More flew towards me, mostly missing but some scraped my arms and my cheeks. I waved my arm up, tearing the roots of the trees up and forming a shield to cover me.

So much blood. Arrows protruded from my skirt, some scratching my legs. I couldn't walk, nevertheless stand.

Ignoring the branches and dirt, I dragged my body up to the grove, reaching out a hand and touched inside the rim of the boundary. The blood thay coated my hands dripped on the ground.

Everything was getting blurry. I felt my head drop to the ground. Was this what dying felt like, pain and desperation mixed together?

My eyelids drooped. Was it me, or was it getting brighter? Strange, because I could have sworn it was nighttime...