Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Note: This was also posted on my account on Fanfiction.com, my user is Kitty Phantomhive. I'm just editing this story, because the one on FanFiction sucks xD

Disclaimer: I do not own Skyrim or Babette. Most of the characters belong to me.

o~o~o

My name is Babette, living in an orphanage at High Rock. I'm a Breton, who has no idea who or where my mama and papa are. People tell me this and that, but there are unlimited scenarios. Anything is possible.

"Dinner is ready, pathetic children!" Raven the Gentle screams at us. Me, I have no clue why they title her that. She does not deserve to even be a woman working at an orphanage to watch over us. She forces us to call her that, saying it is disrespectful not to do so. Her assistant, Salem, is incredibly kind, unlike Raven. In our opinion, it should be "Salem the Gentle."

"Yes, Raven the Gentle," says us children, solemnly and monotonously.

Aki, a girl my age, was put in here six years ago. Her parents abandoned her in front of the orphanage's doorstep, probably thinking this is the right place for her. Wrong decision.

Dillion, a boy two years younger than me, he was placed here about a month ago. His parents were executed. In front of his eyes.

Uri, a girl two years older than me, she was put in here six months ago. Her parents were killed in a devastating fire.

Ro, a boy three years older than me, was put in here three years ago. He was kidnapped by bandits, and soon escaped to travel here. Wrong choice. He does not know if his parents are even alive. The eldest in the orphanage.

Ann, a girl four years younger than me, she ran away from home and traveled to the orphanage two months ago. Like Ro, she does not know if her parents are alive.

Then there is me, Babette, ten years old, one who just happens to be here two years ago. I despise how my parents left me here, I do not remember much of my past life. I had amnesia once I came here.

We all rush to the table.

"Hurry up, kids! Last one receives a whipping!" she screeches, bursting our eardrums. Now, our walking transforms into accelerated running. Ann is last. Raven intimidatingly flicks her whip, pointing to the small, dark room with the metal shackles and piles of itchy hay. Raven slowly follows Ann with a menacing glare, closing the door behind her. We prepare for the worst.

We all hear the whip. The sharp, piercing rope. It was loud, extremely loud, that Dillion was already beginning to cry. The screams of Ann were enough to have him burst out into tears. Salem seems to calm him down.

Aki was breathing heavily, sitting beside me. Slowly, she looks directly at me and whispers, "I don't want to get whipped," even if she was beat multiple times. At these times, Raven was beating us violently than before. She hits us with anything you can think of.

I mumble back to her, "Do not worry. I will not let any of you."

In truth, I was unsure of that response. I wish I can reverse time and say that answer again, I do not want to get whipped, either.

The door slammed open. "Pathetic child, a worthless brat," Raven mutters to herself. "No food for you tonight."

My head turns slightly around, and I glimpse at Ann at the corner of my eye. She has cuts on her arms and legs, bruises on her cheeks, and her wrists are in tight shackles. She sobs in the tiny room, even when the doors slam shut. Sometimes on rare occasions, Raven lights the candle.