...CONTINUED ON PAGE 19

She awoke with a sick hungry feeling in her stomach, and a pit of dread to match it.

"Where am I?'" her childish voice rang through out the room, echoing confusion and .. Silence. She said it again, desperately pleading with the empty room... No one answered. No one was there to answer, only four lonely walls; painted white and stained with rust, cigarette smoke and age. There was one small window at the top of the back wall, small enough to let in the damp winter air. She tensed herself to sit up but couldn’t, she immediately realized her ankles were bound. She jerked her arms side to side, and with great pain realized her wrists were bound too. Her head and heart pounding with adrenaline and fear, she sobbed. Reality began to sink in,

"OH Shit, oh shit, oh God ".She wailed as her mind ran wild with fantasies. Fantasies filled with the dread of the unknown. "How did i get here? i must have been  drugged?" she lifted her head as far as her neck would allow her , which wasn’t far. She saw the needle marks on her arm. Definitely drugged.

"Oh God, Was I ... raped??"  Her voice cracked as she whispered it aloud. but after a seconds' thought,  She decided she didn’t really feel violated, in that way.

"OK.. what’s the last thing u remember Katie." she spoke it as if a statement instead of a question, as if her instincts posed the question, and not her.

" I don’t fucking know!" She answered herself aggravated with the weakness of her frail arms. After flailing, yelling, and jerking her body side to side in a rage until she wore out. Then she finally stopped and laid still. Already she felt herself leaning towards accepting defeat. Going to a quiet place in her mind and just letting it ride out. Who'da known, She'd be famous after all; In the papers as a tragic victim. "The Beautiful girl, stolen in the night, drugged, bound and etc", the news papers would read.  and  “How strong Katie must have been to endure that.” They’d all say. katies day dream was interrupted by the urgency of that instinctual primitive voice in her head.

"Ok Katie", her instincts spoke out loud, "Get yourself out of these restraints." Katie grunted and jerked as she tried to pull her ankles free. No luck. She took a deep breath and began to jerk her wrists around. They didn’t budge. Whoever the monster that tied her down was, did not want her going anywhere. And made well sure that she couldn't.

"DAMNIT!". She sobbed again until abruptly that instinctual voice slipped out through her tears and said,

"OK Katie... just breath and try to relax, you can do this." Katie sighed, almost feeling a rush of relief for a moment’s time. That sound, the reassurance of that voice, that voice that spoke in times of trial. That was the most comforting sound in the world to Katie. It was strong and justified, a Voice Katie often felt she lacked, Until again she'd hear it.

"But we don’t know whose outside these walls, so dry it up and stop screaming."  The voice came out firm and emotionless.

"OK" Katie answered herself, exhaling deeply. "OK? Well, now what? Now I sit here like a piece of meat and wait for the bastard to come back?" A Good question, to which the instinctual voice replied,

“That’s exactly what you do. Wait till that bastard comes back in here.( in a tone was serene, cool, and clever.) Act like your asleep. You have to be smart about this." Katie found truth in that and decided it was time to calm down. she needed to be smart. Her mind wandered briefly and she began laughing frenziedly, "HaHaHa.. maybe all those nights spent practicing how to escape hospital style bondage will actually pay off!" She held back an exasperated scream and jerked her limbs around hysterically. 

"The sarcasm isn't helping...

suddenly the door creaked. Katie froze.She then instinctively and hastily closed her eyes and let her head fall to the side. Terror rose in her from her stomach into her pounding heart. She heard voices and footsteps in the hallway. She quickly noticed the shaking in her knees, apparent even to her as she lay there. she locked her legs tight to the bed. The door opened.