Chapter 1

The last day of summer. Its tradition to have the bonfire party in the woods. I just wish I wasn't a part of the ignorant tradition. It's just an excuse for horny boys to grope girls in the middle of the woods without anyone watching. I think I lose brain cells from going to these parties and watching the vacuous actions being performed by those around me.

But of course I, "Had to go!" and "It will be so much fun!" Me being myself I gave in to my best friend Maya that always ends up taking me to each of these parties. And it always ends up with me being alone and just sitting around or me being the third wheel with Maya and this boy Carter. I can't remember the last time I went to a party without them hooking up. But the funny thing is that they're not even dating! So every time Carter sleeps with another girl she claims that she's never going to talk to him again. But yet again here I am sitting around the bonfire right next to them sloppily kissing.

I plug in my headphones to drown out the sounds next to me and the annoying pop music. I much rather have the soft tune playing than the loud obnoxious ringing and with the sounds of drunken laughter in the back. I hum along knowing its too loud for anyone else to hear me. I just look at the fire trying my best not to pay attention to the foolish behavior around me. But when I look back, Maya is nowhere to be seen. But I see Carter and I also see Aria Silvester against a tree. You know, hooking up.

I sigh knowing Maya is probably somewhere alone, sad and drunk. I'm going to be the one who has to pick up the pieces. I look through the woods knowing that the first place she'd run too. I still have my headphones in making it easier to focus on one thing without getting distracted.

"Maya! It's me, Nat! Can you please come out ?" I say defeatedly after searching for about ten minutes. I'm walking around relentlessly using my phone flashlight to find my way around. Now I'm starting to get worried. What if she tried driving home drunk? As I'm about to call her for the fourth time, a pair of hands grabs my ass. I turn around to slap the perv, but before I can, he cups his hand over my mouth and backs me up against a tree. I try to pry his groping hands off of me, pushing at his chest as he presses sloppy kisses to my neck. "Hmm you're quite the feisty one aren't you?" He drunkenly whispers in the crook of my neck and then adds a little laugh. I feel disgusted and I close my eyes, fear being the only thing I feel. We're stuck in the middle of the woods and If anybody passes by they'll probably think I'm having a good time.

His hand is still pressed on my mouth and I try to scream but only soft cries come out. I do the only thing I can. I dig my knee deeply into the only spot in reach. He falls to the ground cupping himself groaning in pain. I run but my legs give out and I fall over a tree branch. How typical. I see the guy starting to walk over, but that's when he gets punched in the face.

"What the hell are you doing?" The guy who punched my attacker says angrily. "I was just having a little fun mate chill." He smiles. He fucking smiles about that and wipes the blood dripping down his face. "Asshole." The guy standing above me facing the drunk pervert sighs. He looks back at me and I'm captivated. Even in the dark, he looks like the perfect human. But before I can look for more than even ten-seconds he turns back and punches the drunk guy again.

He turns back around not offering me a hand up or an "are you ok." He just looks at me. Probably because by now there are tears pouring down my cheeks. All he says is "you're welcome." And with that, I stand up and walk away not saying a word to him. I know he helped me, but it didn't even seem like he cared about my well being, so why should I say thank you?

Once I knew he was out of sight I ran for about five minutes until it started raining. My fucking luck. There was a knocked over a tree that I made my way over too, once I sat down I put my head in my hands and even more tears started to stream down my face. Which is unusual because I'm not the sensitive type. I took out my phone trying to call anyone to pick me up, but there's no service this far out in the woods. So I just sit and cry, how do I get put in these positions? I can't believe Maya, how could she? How could anyone? And I know I can't go back to the party looking like this. I don't want this to get around the whole school.

After about 10 minutes I've finally calmed down but I can tell I look like a wreck. Then someone taps on my shoulder. I look back seeing it's the same guy who helped me. "Do you need a ride? You look pretty shitty." He bluntly states offering me his hand. I push his hand away from me and stand up. "How'd you find me?" I ask. "I could hear you crying from a mile away." He rolls his eyes and lightly sighs. "Wow, thanks for your concern." I scoff starting to walk away. He then grabs my wrist and turns me back around facing him"Are you sure you don't need a ride because it doesn't look like you have another option." He says slightly annoyed.

I sigh in defeat, "Where's your car?"