Chapter One

The majority of robots remember as their first memory the enthusiast voice of their inventor, but Andrea built her first memory only years after her birth, since she is one of the few humans that are still living on the Earth... such a waste of information, to me! Duh, strange humans... weak, imperfect but with the great gift of emotions... Andrea's father was an extraordinary man, different from the others of his race: he had a open mind, he was able to see the heart in everything, even literally.
While the other men exploited us and used us, he designed us for things different from doing the cleaning or building. He taught me the meaning of words, their power and their infinite potential. In his opinion, there wasn't such a difference between who was made of flesh and blood and who was made out of steel and circuits. With these ideas, he raised Andrea, all alone, taking it one day at the time working in his little spare parts' shop.
Yes, it may seem strange, a spare parts' shop that is on the verge of failure in a world of androids, but if people despise them so much that they consider us only "boxes" whom give orders, certainly they don't care if they are broken. They throw them away and they get another one, a better and newer one.
Andrea had the same ideas of her father, after all, growing up surrounded by robots and cogs it couldn't be different.
Porter's shop (and home) was in one of the suburbs of the city of Ironpoint and it was populated mostly by robots, of every kind and job; the only human with which Andrea spent her time and played was Louis, a boy two years older than her, who ran away from a reformatory, where he was put from his father.
The two of them had always much fun, even if sometimes it was a little difficult to play with a doll, a baby carriage and an Edison lamp at the same time...