Chapter 1

Lexi

I didn't always have to steal so I could feed my sister. There was a time when there was food on the table, and there was a time when we had a table to put food on. It wasn't always like this... All it took was one bad day. One bad day that took away all of the food. It took away the table and the comfortable bed and the nice clothes. It took away the two people who loved us the most.

It was my birthday. I was seventeen. Aria had also turned nine that day. I'd taken her to the park with some friends of hers. Mom and Dad stayed home to prepare her surprise for later that day. Aria was off running around with her friends when I got the call. "There's been an accident." Those words still ring in my head.

The first thing that came out of my mouth was," What happened?" The man on the other end was silent until I asked again, louder. The thought of death didnt cross my mind. I thought, maybe Mom burned herself while baking or Dad hit his head in the garage again. The man said there was an intruder. He shot them both twice in the head. He also took some things. Two of those things included my parents wedding rings. Rigor Morris hadn't even begun and he took the time the yank off their rings.

I fell to the ground in the middle of the park, crying silent tears. How was I going to tell her?

I looked up to see her bright purple hair flowing behind her as she ran around without a care in the world. How was I going to burst her little bubble of joy? How could I tell her that her two favorite people in the world were gone forever?

I took out a piece of watermelon flavored gum and started chewing to calm myself. I have to be the adult now. No more parties or smoking weed to forget my problems. I had to be the bigger person.

 *****

Hi, it's me again. I know I shouldn't start another story when I have two other ones but I couldn't let this idea go to waste. I hope you enjoyed this. The next chapter will be in present tense don't worry.