Mutogenetic

Mutogenetic has become a swear word. Mutations, naturally occuring or this new breed of nightmare fuel, are spoken only with hushed voices and quivering tongues. Mutants, humans with extraordinary abilities, are ostracized by the majority of society, deemed as threats to the safety of the normal population. Many live in hiding, some live relatively normal lives through a thorough ruse, and others live no life at all, having had it snatched away by either curious scientists, fearful zealots, or well-intentioned extremists. Set in the year 2019, an alternate future where the Russian-Ukraine-Crimean powder keg unravels just as WWI (that is, there is currently a third world war raging), Mutogenetic follows a group of mutants: Reeding Grier, Calvin Harrow, Aubrey Sawziricki, Erin O'Malley, and Celnar Schulmann. They are taken from whatever haven they've built for themselves to hide their mutant status, and thrust into the war as part of a United States experimental defense program.

If you are familiar with Marvel's X-Men, you may recognize some themes, but humans discriminating and oppressing that which they fear is not an innovative concept thought up by Stan Lee or Jack Kirby.

All work within is mine. All characters and the plot is mine, and mine alone. I'm a damn greedy bastard, don't you know? This story will not be pleasant. It will not leave readers feeling warm and fuzzy. It is not intended to. This is my foray into deep psychological issues, into disgusting aspects of war and human nature that most would rather remain unexplored, and into what it truly means to be human. Is it enough not to look human that makes one expendable? Or is it more complex? Is it the appearance, or the actions, or the morality, or the mentality, or any combination of the above?

There will be torture. There will be war. There will be rape. It will not be explicit, as not even on my worst days could I bring myself to write explicit scenes on such topics, but be forwarned these will rear their ugly heads. There will also be suicidal ideation, mentions of child abuse, lgbt themes, descrimination, and other mature themes. I suggest you heed the R rating, and not by-pass it. I rated it R for it's heavy, controversial, possibly triggering topics. 

That said, there'll be a great deal of levity thrown in. I'd rather this not be catalouged in the annals of the internet as "that one WattPad story that made me want to slit my wrists". Though, my attempts at humor and comedy may just as well do the job.

I am also tinkering with a new writing style-- one that is more poetic than prosaic, though prose segments will have their place in my piece. 

Without further ado, I start this