The Calling

The alcohol stung as she rubbed it into the cuts all over her skin, disinfecting each wound as the clear substance bled into her own crimson liquid. The band aid wrapped over each gash in her limbs.

After cleaning herself up, she wandered into the plain room that held her bed, vanity and closet; there being no other sign that anyone occupied the room other than the various items scattered across her dressing table. She pulled out the low stool nestled underneath the mirror and table and sat; her eyes blindly focused on her own reflection as the voices began their tirade through her thoughts.

"You were never good enough." Her father.

"You could never make us proud." Her mother.

"You'll never fit in." Her sister.

"You'll never have friends." Her brother.

"You're worthless, unloved, useless, ugly, stupid, pathetic, disgraceful, annoying..."

The words spun round in her head and the tears fell down her face. She had nowhere to escape to, no fantasy or dream that could make her forget. They had been stolen from her long ago by the ones who were supposed to nurture them and help them take flight. She felt out of place, lost. She knew she didn't belong here, but then again, she didn't belong anywhere.

Tears crawled down her face as she felt the rage build up to a peak before it ripped a scream of frustration from her throat and her body curled itself over the lip of the desk she was sat at. She wished, she wished she could escape, that someone would take her away from this, that there was something she could do to change her situation.

Her mind reeled through all her other discarded means of escape, her thoughts settling fondly on the words of an old fairytale that her nursery teacher told her, the darker version became a source of fantasy and hope. The fairytale land seemed a comfort compared to her own, the labyrinth itself giving her a thrill of adventure and the words would envelope her and drag her down to the Underground; the biting faeries and the happily dismembered Fireys, the grumbling dwarfs and the enigmatic, mysterious and dangerous Goblin King.

The thought of failing the labyrinth scared her much less than the one of remaining here in her sham of a life. She would rather risk her life and soul than stay with four walls as her only friends.

'Say your right words.' Her thoughts coaxed her, gently prodding her to speak, to deliver herself from this existence. She met the cold gaze of her mirror image, making her decision before her conscience had time to reverse her choice. Lips parted as the syllables rolled from her tongue and a cool breeze whipped from an open window and swirled around her form.

"I wish the goblins would take you away, right now."

Lightning flashed through the sky as the wind howled past her ears. Squeaky chattering filled the room as creatures unseen moved around the sparse room before leaving. A roll of thunder blasted through the night and with a flash there was a figure stood by the dresser. Tall and slender with a wild mane of pale gold hair, cloaked in black with a single white shirt ruffle peeping from under the velvet cloak.

As he turned, she could make out his heavily accented and mismatched eyes, one pupil far more dilated than the other, his fairly high cheekbones and his lips that held an expression fixed between knowledge, amusement and authority. His eyes landed on her face, boring into her head with a gaze so intense that she felt as though her innermost thoughts and soul were bared for him to peruse at will. In reality, she was simply awestruck by the aura and presence he carried, one of power and grace and the illusion of approachability and empathy.

"Where is the child?" The corners of his mouth turned slightly into a predatory grin with his words and all she could do was blankly stare at him, uncertain of what it was he meant. Finally, her brain broke through the fog enough for her to say:

"What child?" The man smiled as though he was humoring a toddler who had drawn a picture.

"The child you wished away, that I am entrusted and entitled to take." He stepped lightly forwards, his footsteps leaving no sound.

"I didn't wish any child away." She was confused now and scared, so very, very scared. She held little doubt that the mood could change with a word or a glance.

"You said, and I quote: "I wish the goblins would take you away, right now." So here I am to take the child." His voice grew darker and more dangerous as the puzzle pieces slotted together in her brain. A gasp escaped her mouth as she realised what had happened.

"That was me. I wished myself away. I spoke to my mirror, my reflection. I never guessed, but I -" Her words failed her as he moved, bending at the waist so they were at eye level before he spoke.

"What's said is said, but this is most unusual," He scrutinised her face for a sign that she was lying. He found none. "I have never encountered someone who wished themselves away. Why should I take you?"

She looked away, embarrassed and the voices flew through her brain again, each word branded on her soul as a constant reminder of how little she meant to everyone. A single tear left her eye. She had dared, just for a second, she had dared to hope.

"You shouldn't, I'm useless anyway . I guess I just thought that whatever fate I suffered in your labyrinth would be better than whatever happened here." Her voice was a whisper, so quiet her guest had to strain to hear her. "I'm sorry for wasting your time, Sir."

His look was pensive. He had not lied when he said this was a unique request and the glimpse inside her head told him that she truly believed she was of no use to anyone.

"You have 13 hours. Find me in my castle and you may remain in my kingdom. Fail and you will return." A click of his fingers changed the setting to one of a burnt orange landscape complete with castle and maze. "You may not ask for help, but if it is given freely then you may take it."

A nod had the girl walking away towards the walls that stood tall and proud, that falsely promised safety when the danger lay within. However, before she could reach the murky copper gates she felt a weight on her shoulder, the hand of the King himself, pulling her to a stop and holding her in place as he walked around to stand directly in front of her.

"I mean to provide you with something before you leave. Take it." And with that he pulled an ornate bronzed pocket watch from a pocket deep within the velvet lining of his cloak. Her eyes widened as she wrapped her fingers over the warm, delicate chain.

"Thank you, Sir." The corners of his mouth tugged into an almost smile.

"However, it comes with a price. Now, now, now. Do not fret. I simply wish to know the name of my new runner." he lowered the hand he had raised to silence her. Her entire being had cringed in fright at his mention of payment. He was King and could demand anything and everything off her, so at his statement of curiosity towards her name she relaxed ever so slighty. At least she did outwardly, inside she wondered whether there would be a higher price later.

"Mellissa, Your Majesty." An eyebrow raised.

"Very well, I will delay you no longer, but heed my words. If you ask for help, you forfeit the labyrinth and can never return." Mellissa nodded sharply and the King move to allow her passage. Before she knew it, she stood before the gates, knowing that she couldn't turn back.