.until the vanishing point

"Care for a drink?"

"No, thanks," again he refused to notice an arrogant manner of communication and just nodded vaguely. "So, what do you... Do here?"

"I study the sequence of unchanging events and possible deviations from constants, as well as the patterns of their occurrence."

"Very nice."

"I study the Time, Mr. DeWitt."

"Charming, indeed."

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤRobert chuckled for the first time, mainly because of his fatigue, although DeWitt's tone sounded quite amusing to him. He stopped the pendulum and crossed his arms. It's been three hours since his guest lay down in the chair with his eyes closed, listening only to the monotonous ticking and the Lutece's voice.

"What's your division, then? Blood?" asked Robert.

"Pretty much," replied Booker. "Sometimes I investigate the mediocre secrets of the Rapture citizens."

"Such as?"

"Such as crazy scientists' requests."

"Charming!"

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤDetective hid a grin while rubbing his chin.

"Well, what's your-ah... Conclusion?"

"This information is hidden too deep in your mind. I cannot reach it now."

"What do you suggest, to think shallowly?"

"Absolutely not! If you care for my opinion, I suppose that the information you are looking for has been identified by your subconscious mind as "bad" or "unimportant". I believe, hypnosis and science are not enough in this case. However, I can assume that a stimulus is needed."

"Fight fire with fire."

"Lovely, you are catching up finally."

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤBooker straightened. His neck ached because of the long lying in same position, and the ceiling seemed blurry. The memories were chaotic, as if a cocktail of the past was stirred and shook many times. He didn't believe in the viability of the experiment, though he had no other options but to allow Robert to cast over him.

"See you around, Mr. Lutece," DeWitt stood up.

"Talking to you is a pure pleasure. I'll be looking forward. Oh, and happy birthday."

"Yeah, appreciate it," said detective after a short pause. Apparently, he was saying gibberish while was unconscious. "You're invited to the party."

"You mentioned it," Robert cleared his throat. "That's exactly why I suggested to drink."