Boxing Lessons

"Starla sweetie, you can't just go around punching people."

"Sure I can!" The girl responded as her great uncle wrapped her knuckles. "They're not gonna stop me! Besides, they were makin' fun of Stella."

"I know, but you're getting hurt," Mason sighed. "There's a right way and a wrong way to punch, you know. You can get hurt too if you do it incorrectly."

"...there's a wrong way of punching?" Starla asked in confusion.

"Well yeah," Mason frowned. "For how much you enjoy getting into fights, you'd think you'd know how to do it properly. Haven't you ever taken classes or something?"

"I wanted to take boxing classes, but Pa wouldn't let me," Starla grumbled. "He said girls ain't supposed to be violent."

"Pfft!" Mason rolled his eyes. "That's silly! If you wanna take boxing classes, you should! Hey, what if I sign you up for them while you're here? It'll be our little secret."

He winked at Starla, who stared back in shock.

"You'd let me take boxing?!" She squealed suddenly. "Oh my gosh! Thank you thank you thank you!"

She jumped up and hugged her great uncle around the neck. Mason giggled and squeezed her back, planting a kiss on Starla's forehead.

"Not a problem, pumpkin."

-----

"Boxing? Can't you get hurt doing that?"

"Maybe," Starla shrugged off the teen's concern. "But I can also learn how to hurt others!"

"Seems awfully violent," Fernanda frowned. "But... it does seem like somethin' you'd enjoy."

"Oh, she's been wanting to take boxing classes for a while now," Stella said. "Grunkle Mason let you?"

"Yeah! I was surprised too!" Starla nodded. "But I'm also super excited! Saturday can't get here soon enough."