Part 1

Avalon gazed down at the street below, there was always a big crowd at the market during the summer. She adjusted her position on the hot tile rooftop, pulling her cloak further over her face hiding the bright blue curl that had fallen out from it. The people below were loud, chattering as they bought things from the lines of stalls in the narrow street. It was a hot day, the humidity visible in the air. Avalon knew it was risky being out in broad daylight but it was getting stuffy in her attic, her brother wouldn't stop talking about this new trick card set he had convinced their parents to buy from the local jester. Avalon lifted her face to the hot sun. It would most definitely burn her if she stayed out longer but it was a nice change to have the light and warmth on her face.

The view from her roof showed the whole city, a mile of brown tile roofs, then an endless green. She had never ventured that far but sometimes dreamed of escaping into that distant green heaven, never a worry of being caught again. But she would wake and be thrown back into the world of brown. Her brother the only bit of colour in her life. He was her rock, a way of staying sane. Avalon sighed, time to get back to reality.

Suddenly there was a shout from below. Avalon peered over the edge of the roof. Down below there seemed to be a scuffle. Dust had risen as people moved out of the way as two of the kingdoms guards dragged a young boy, 8 years old at most out the door of the building across the street. He was crying and trying to hold onto his mother but he was ripped from her and dragged forcefully away. No-one stopped them, just standing in silence, his mother weeping in the doorway. He was dragged all the way down the street, a deafening silence as they passed the crowds.

After they passed through, the crowds slowly got back into motion, and the street was abuzz with noise once again as if nothing had happened. The boy's mother in a heap in the doorway. Avalon stayed still, her eyes pinned to the back of the boys head as he was dragged down the long street. It was not hard to keep track of him, his bright blue hair standing out in the crowd of brown. Avalon reached up tucking her hair, the same colour as the little boys, behind her ears making sure it was clearly out of sight.

"Avalon?" a voice whispered from behind her. She knew that voice well, it was her twin brothers. She turned to see him looking anxiously at her from the gap in the roof tiles, his hood up over his head like hers. "They just took Alfie" he told her. "I know" she whispered back, gesturing down to the street below.

Avalon shuffled over to her brother following him back down into the attic. "Ro, it's going to be ok." She told him placing her hand on his shoulder. She didn't know if she believed it though, more and more of them had been taken, they were getting dangerously close to being found out.

Root half smiled at her before pulling back his hood revealing his bright green hair, bits of it sticking up and about everywhere. Avalon did the same, her curly blue hair falling around to frame her face.

"Mum and Dad want us to stay in tonight" Root tells her. Avalon nods slightly. She knew her parents were scared, they had stayed secret for 17 years now but everyday had been a risk. She didn't have a memory without the worry of being caught. She was terrified of being taken away from her brother and her parents.

Avalon walked over to the bookshelf in the corner, passing her hands over the spines before sitting down in the corner and closing her eyes, thinking to herself. The afternoon passed by slowly, she spent most of it listening as Root practiced his card tricks. They ate at noon with her parents and then all was quiet.