Chapter 1~ Painful Reminders

I stood there with all of my weight balanced on one of my legs while the other was resting on the camper tire, another boring week at Lebanon campground, and it didn't help that Joey, my ex was camping with us. The only good thing was that my friends, Michaela and Shelby were coming.

       “ Hey Kayla, come here,"I sighed with misery, I put my foot down and walked up the black steps and went into the camper.

       “ Yeah?” I asked meeting my mothers blue eyes, I was dreading this week so much, you see Joey and I didn't end things off very well. We got in a fight over things that are so stupid that I don't even care to talk about anymore, his stupidity led me into so many problems. I didn't know that him and his family were even coming until we got here and by then I couldn't turn back.

        “ You need to change your attitude before your friends get here, okay?” she said in motherly tone.

        I wasn't quite sure if that was possible right now but I would try only because it was my mother asking me to. “ Okay," I turned around and ran my hand across the counter where my mother had just finished drying off with a wash clothe. I walked out of the camper and felt the warmth as it surrounded me.

        “Great," I whispered under my breath, I watched as Joey's family came up the lane in a brand new maroon Toyota. I looked away but out of the corner of my eye I saw his mom and dad wave, without looking I waved to them. I stepped off of the wooden deck and felt the green summer grass crush beneath my feet.

         I was stopped by a voice, I turned around and searched for it, when I finally located it I found his mother staring at me with a hand placed on her forehead, shielding her from the sun. “ Where are you going?” she asked with a look of confusion.

         “ I'm going on a walk," she smiled at me and then looked into her beaten up old camper.

         “ Why don't you take someone to talk to?” I knew what she was hinting at but I thought she knew that him and I were over with. I felt my body tense as I watched they're camper door and out came two boys. One of them I recognized very well and the other was his younger brother. I watched as  two black high tops made their way down the steps and then they stopped. My eyes moved upward, he wore a blue muscle shirt with long black shorts that had red designs on them. I swallowed hard as I met his brown eyes.

          I looked back to his mom, “ I'm fine," I said glaring at Joey one last time before walking away, I watched as his eyes began to water, he cleared his throat and turned around.

         “ Okay," she smiled at me and then turned around walking back into they're camper.

         I began walking down the lane, I heard the stones crunch under my feet. As I walked, I couldn't help but think about what he did to me. I remembered going to the lake so we could watch his niece and my brother and sister swim. I was broke from my thought by laughter, I turned to my right and found a guy throwing grass at a girl. He had JB style brown hair and red swimming trunks on. The girl had long blonde hair that was pulled back into a ponytail and big brown eyes. I smiled as she started to run away and he picked her up and kissed her. As I arrived at the upper play park I sat down on the rusty, old swing. I felt warm and wet tears begin to come out, they ran down my face and arms. I couldn't deal with this right now, this was going to be difficult, just seeing him back there made me want to scream at him and tell him how stupid he was. Seeming how him and I didn't leave off on a very good note,  the thought of it disgusted me, no girl deserves this at all. I felt torn and broken and helpless all at the same time, it felt as if when he left, he ripped a piece of my heart right out of my chest.