Chapter 01

"YOU'RE SHITTING ME!!"

"I am not! Congratulations, you just won backstage passes to meet Purple Sky next Saturday at the Blues Arena!" 

 "OH MY GOSH! THANK YOU SO MUCH!" 

"You are very welcome, miss. Have fun and make good choices." the announcer said. 

"Thank you again, sir. And I will most certainly try." I reply.

We hang up and I instantly squeal so loud, my mom comes in to my room with a baseball bat frantically looking around, her eyes wide and alert, searching for danger. 

"Athena, what's wrong?! Are you okay?! Do you need to go to the hospital?! Do you hurt?!" 

"No, mom. I am fine. I am more than fine! Guess who just got backstage passes to meet Purple Sky?!" I don't wait for her reply before I'm rushing to say the answer, "ME, that's who! This girl, right here!" 

Her shoulders relax and she lowers the bat. "Oh, honey. That's great, but I don't think you'll be able to go."

My smile starts to fade and I say, "Well, why not?"

"I'm sorry, baby. We just can't risk it. There will be so many people around and what if something happens and we need to get you out of there fast?"

Sadness takes over and I no longer feel the excitement I felt seconds ago. Purple Sky was my absolute favorite band. They were an indie pop music band, who were inspired by LP, Imagine Dragons, Foster The People, and others. They had started their career by booking gigs in their hometown, which was a couple of hours away from my hometown. I had been wanting to meet them for such a long time and every time I got close to meeting them, my stupid body decided it needed attention. The band was made up of three boys and one girl. Tyler Redwood in drums, Sebastian Fire in electric guitar, Teddy Smith in bass, and finally, the love of my life, Lana Cook as lead vocalist. 

"We can work it out! I'll call the Arena and ask if they can make special arrangements! Please, mom. Don't take this away from me."

"We just can't risk it." She said, with a long face.

"Mom," I say in a serious voice with a straight face, "I might die soon, and if I'm going to die, I want the last exciting thing I do to be meeting my all time favorite band." 

I saw her flinch, but knew I got to her when her face softened and she said, "Athena Rivers, you don't play fair." A slight pause, then, "Just like your father."

My face softened and a small smile made its way to my face, "Where is he this week?" 

"Puerto Rico, I believe." 

My dad was a doctor. Currently, he was working with Doctors Without Borders, helping families who needed medical attention but couldn't afford it. Before Puerto Rico, he was in Haiti. Because of his current job, I only got to see him once every three or four months. 

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Wow, you're dying, and your dad is off on a Caribbean island." It sounds bad, but it really isn't. I was the one that insisted he go. He was hesitant to go, yet I made him. He couldn't help me, but he could help others and that made me happy. it made this worth it. 

My moms' voice broke me out of my thoughts, "How about you call him and see what he says on the matter, and we'll go from there."

"Alright. I'll call him later tonight." 

Dad loved me, and I was dying. He couldn't say no to a sick girl could he? Plus I was his daughter, what could go wrong? 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~