Masks

Denis resented few. Sure, there were naturally some people that just got on his nerves. But isn't that always the case? But that didn't mean he hated them all. In fact, the only person he resented was Archie Sampson. He didn't care that he found himself often looked down upon by the majority of the others in his year level, an outcast of sorts. He didn't hate them. He mostly just kept to himself at lunch and in class. It's only seven hours, he can get through seven hours. After his best friend and her sister transferred to Washington D.C last year for their mother's promotion, he was left pretty much friendless having to face the horrendous high school scene alone.

Denis felt the leaves crunch below his feet as his made his way down the busy streets. Everyone had been out since early this morning doing last minute preparations for Halloween tonight. As usual, Denis had no plans, not that he minded.

When Denis was younger he adored Halloween, it was by far his favourite festival on the calendar. At the age of 14, he had finally outgrown his parents accompanying his trick or treating adventures. His parents reluctantly let him go out with a group of around ten friends when it was still light outside. Unfortunately, the other kids weren't as understanding and called him a wimp for wanting to follow his parent's strict rules and coerced him into lying to his parents. They convinced him to tell his parents that he was staying over at his friend, Archie's, house.

Denis felt uncomfortable lying to his parents but he didn't know how to stand up to peer pressure, he only knew how to succumb to it. So, his parents agreed but there were strict rules once again. He had to text his mother when he came home from trick or treating and then once again before he was going to bed. It wasn't that they didn't trust him, more that they cared so much about him and his safety like a parent would.

Archie wasn't a good person, he knew that, everyone knew that. On the Halloween of 2013, he and his loyal friends left Denis to fend for himself in the middle of nowhere in the dark. It was one of Archie's greatest regrets, but now it was too late for him, he couldn't change and be good. His heart was too black from the ashes that had settled over it when his father abused them and then left them alone to deal with the demons he'd left behind. And that's the sad thing about life, too often the hate in this world sprouts from unresolved injustices, they stem from the unhealed scars that mark a heart.

...

Aiden's house at 10. Masquerade party. BYO drinks.

To say that Denis was shocked would be an understatement. Aiden was arguably the most likable person in their year and the brother of his long-time crush, Saoirse. Denis was almost inclined to not attend but he couldn't resist the opportunity to talk to Saoirse with her not knowing it was him. Aiden had unknowingly given him the opportunity to cloak himself in disguise and get to know the girl he has admired from afar for years.

Denis checked his phone for the time and saw that it was 8:46 and he had to go find a mask. Thanks Aiden. Denis slid on his converse and ran out the door with his phone clenched in his hand. He didn't even know where to start looking.

...

Denis let out a large breath of air as he checked his phone which read 10:04, Where is everyone?

"Derek, hey," Aiden said as he made his way over to Denis. Is he talking to me? Denis had expected a packed house filled with teenagers who he couldn't care less about.

"It's Denis," he mumbled causing Aiden to bring a hand to his face in disappointment.

"I'm so sorry man, that was such a dick move on my part."

"It's fine, don't stress," Denis forced as he finished their brief conversation and walked past him. He had been at this party for exactly four minutes and he had already wanted to leave but he wouldn't, he had his mind set on talking to Saoirse and he wouldn't forfeit this chance.