Another Chance (a Hetalia one-shot)

A certain Hungarian was humming as she washed the dishes, kept in the dark about the ongoing 2nd World War. Her house companion, a certain Austrian, was playing the piano in the living room.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

Hungary stopped washing the dishes and started to walk briskly towards the door. "I'll go get it," Austria said, surprising her. Hungary slowed to a stop with a surprised look on her face. She heard the creak of the door and a muffled conversation.

After the slam of the door was heard, Hungary stuck out her head to see Austria frozen near the doorway. His face was grim as he read the paper in front of him. Her eyes widened when she realized it was a telegram.

"A-Austria? W-what's going on? Why is there a telegram? Is there a war going on?" Hungary bombarded him with questions. He looked up in surprise and tried to hide the telegram, which was of no use since she already saw the damn thing.

"Don't tell me—was it someone close to us?"Hungary gripped his arms, a worried look etched on her face. "Very close," he vaguely replied.

"Who is it? Is it Romania? Bulgaria? Germany? Ita-chan?"

Her face grew more afraid with each name she spouted. He shook his head, then he opened his mouth to give the name of the person who died.

Hungary's world went dark when she heard his reply.

"Prussia," he had uttered.

Hungary fell to her knees with moist eyes and a shocked face. "I-It can't be," she murmured. Sobs wracked her body as she hugged herself. Austria could do nothing, except to stare at her sobbing form with a face that held back sadness.

***************************************************

After the funeral of Prussia, Hungary locked herself in her room. She didn't let anyone in, not even Italy and Austria.

Years passed and she eventually got out of her room. She returned to normal, but the people closest to her (even France) could see that she was still hurting.

She was out shopping with Italy when she saw a familiar figure. Her eyes widened and she dropped the bag she was holding in surprise.

"E-Eh? What's wrong, Hungary?" Italy asked with panic on his face. "I-I'll be going for a run, Ita-chan," she murmured before sprinting towards the familiar figure.

Italy called out to her but gave up, seeing that Hungary was already too far away.

Hungary managed to catch up to the person. She grabbed his arm and yanked it towards her, ruby eyes greeted her emerald ones. His hair was silvery white, build was lean but muscular and was taller than her.

"Hey! Who the hell are you, woman?!" he exclaimed. 

"You don't remember me.....?"she whispered with a shocked face. "First time seeing you," he grumbled.

"I-I'm sorry—It's just that you look a lot like somebody I knew," Hungary said. 

"That's impossible. No any other guy has these awesome pure white hair and red eyes," he scoffed.

"A-Anyway, what's your name?" Hungary stammered, shock still written on her face. 

"Gilbert Beilschmidt," he replied proudly.

"P-PRUSSIA?!" somebody behind Hungary exclaimed in surprise.

Gilber sighed before muttering, "Great. Another weirdo."

Italy ran towards them.

"So, what's your name?" Gilbert asked, turning his attention back to Hungary.