Belonging To The Night

Prologue

It is dark, and the moon casts a misty glow upon the scene. As the full moon rises to its highest point in the sky, I can’t ignore my true self for any longer. I feel the familiar pain start to seep through my lower body, and I tense as it reaches the top of my head. I clamp my jaws closed and hold back a shriek of agony as my clothes shred and I rip into my other form. I tower seven feet above the ground, my sharp claws glinting in the moonlight, my breath coming out in rasping pants. I dare not look down at my new body, so instead with hungry eyes I look upon you unsuspecting humans. I creep out from my hiding place; silent, stealthy. As my human senses and emotions disappear, the monster inside me takes centre stage. My nose burns with the luxurious smell of your pulsing blood, and I move into a crouch, prepared to attack. My stance is ready to change at any moment. You do not know that I am there, but you sense the possibility of my presence. I leap ten feet through the air and land perfectly in front of you. You hear my heavy breathing and turn around in horror. You’re both dead before you even have a chance to scream.

I am a werewolf.

This is my life now.