Chapter 1

Numbers. Everyone is marked with one the minute they're born. Supposedly only one other person in the world has that number, and that person is your soul mate. I don't know if I completely believe it. How could they know?

973. That's my number. My soul mate apparently has the same number. I guess it's to save us from heartbreak. I walk outside to the crisp and chilly air. I wish my jacket was a little warmer, but I'll survive.

I make my way to the old bus stop and sit inside. A tall man enters the stop. He's quite attractive to be honest. His hair is a light caramel brown, and his eyes are as blue as the ocean. Wow.

"Whew, quite chilly outside isn't it?" He says. His voice is husky and loud. "Yeah... It is pretty cold" I reply. The bus arrives and we both hop on. The bus is very crowded, and there's only one seat available.

"You can take this seat my dear" The man utters. I accept the offer and sit down. The man stands in front of me. "So I never caught your name dear" He mentions. I smile and glance up at him. "Oh. Right. I'm Sydney" I mumble.

"Cute name. I'm Xavier." He announces. I smile again, and ring the bell for my stop. "Ah... looks like we've got the same stop." He laughs. We both get off the bus, and back into the cold weather. "Where are you headed?" Xavier asks.

"I have to pick up some things from the store. You?." I reply. "Me too" He answers. I nod my head and continue off to the store. I grab a cart and start getting my groceries.  The store is very quiet. Only a few small noises are emitted from the aisles. I find the produce department and there he is again. Xavier. "Hello, dear" He smiles. Ugh why won't he leave me alone?

"Hey" I sigh grabbing some fruit. I head to the cash, trying to leave as soon as possible. I don't see him as I leave so I head back to the bus stop. I'm suddenly grabbed and pulled into a dark alleyway. I kick and scream trying to break free, but I feel a hand being thrown up onto my mouth.

"Shhhh.....Shhhh.....I'm protecting you" a voice whispers. I calm myself down, and he lets go. I turn around and see a tall and handsome man. His hair is long and straight. It's a beautiful honey-blonde type colour. His eyes are as green as emeralds.

I just stand there admiring his face and body. He's perfect. "Uh miss?" He coughs. I look back at him, knocked out of my trance. I feel kind of embarrassed. "Yeah?" I stutter. "Never mind. Just stay away from that man." He mutters. I nod and we watch Xavier pass by, probably looking for me.

"Why do we have to avoid the man?" I ask. "We just do, okay?" He chokes out. "If you don't mind me asking, what's your name?" I swallow. He shoots me a weird look. "Damien" He mumbles. "Sydney." I smile. He nods and pulls me out of the alleyway.

"Come with me." He smirks. Man I love his voice. It's nasally and quiet, but it sounds so cute. I follow him into the foggy streets until we arrive at this beautifully built apartment. He pulls me into the elevator and presses us up to the fifth floor.

He brings us into a small room filled with paintings and posters. It looks a lot like my apartment. He picks me up and throws me onto the bed. He hops up beside me. "Why are we here?" I raise my voice, which startles Damien.

"Here is safer than anywhere else." He whispers turning on the TV. "What do you wanna watch?" I look at him. "Uh whatever you want, I don't care." I reply. He nods and flicks on the news.