Chapter 1

Ember woke up one chilly October morning. She didn't know why, but today felt like something bad was going to happen. Throwing her blanket off of her she left her warm cozy bed. Ember ran over to her dresser and pulled out a pair of ripped skinny jeans, and a maroon hoodie. Wanting to get into the warmer cloths as soon as she could, she wasted no time taking her pajamas off and quickly throwing on the new clothes. She heard her mother call her name, motioning that it was time to head to school. Ember ran out of her room and almost fell down the stairs. Her mother had her backpack ready for her when she reached the bottom of the stairs. They both headed to the car.

           "Honey...we're here..." her mother said softly. Ember hadn't noticed shed drifted off in thought. She quickly hoped out of the car and walked into the school. Scanning the waiting area she spotted an empty table, she quickly sat moved to it and began reading. A few minutes later she felt a presence sit next to her, when she looked up there was nothing there.

          'Weird' she thought then continued reading. Not even a minute later she felt it again, turning to look around her. Again, there was no one. Ember picked up her things and walked over to where her friend, Claire sat. Claire looked up from her phone once Ember sat across from her and gave a quick smile before quickly tapping on her phone again. "You'll never believe what just happened..." ember broke the silence.

           "Why?" Claire looked up again, "What happened?"

           "It felt like someone was looking at me...but no one was there." Ember stared blankly.

           Claire busted out laughing, "You've GOT to be kidding me!" she looked at Ember like she had two heads. Ember shook her head no and looked around embarrassed that her friend had acted that way.

          A few minutes later Claire's new boyfriend showed up and sat with us. Immediately they started flirting and making googley eyes at each other. Then it happened, they started to kiss...well Ember though it looked more like they were eating each other's faces. She made and audible 'Ugh' sound and stormed off. She didn't know where to go since the first bell hadn't rang yet. She decided to go hang around outside.

          Once out there, the bitter cold air nipped her nose and ears. Ember took a seat on a bench close to the front so she could still hear the bell ring. She zoned out in thought only to be called back by a cold, little hand on her arm. Ember jumped and looked over at the little boy beside her, she didn't know what he was doing at the high school. "H-hey, can I help you?" she stuttered, still clearly shocked. The young boy only continued to stare at her. "Are you o-okay?" she asked. Ember was clearly starting to get uncomfortable. The little boy took her hand and started walking away from the front door, down to the parking lot to be exact.

         "Hey! I have school soon!" she said sternly, trying to get the younger boys attention. He acted as if he couldn't hear her, and gripped her hand tighter, starting to head up the hill that leads to the cemetery. The teenager felt even colder when the younger boy tightened his grip on her hand. She noticed where they heading, and she was filled with fear instantly. They were still walking up the hill when Ember heard her phone buzz.

Claire: Where are you?! The teacher is mad!

          She tried to type back with her one free hand, then she felt the young male come to a stop. He didn't release her hand but pushed his other one towards her. Ember felt her heartrate quicken, the boy placed a single finger on her phone screen. They both looked down at the phone, just to see the screen flicker on and off and then go black. Ember felt her jaw drop and looked down at the smaller figure. He looked more human now.