The Beginning

The night had always been Taemin's forte, regardless of what species he was a part of. It was calming to know that you were hidden behind the mask of darkness. People tended to give anyone less attention during the night too.

And more importantly, it wasn't as noisy as the daylight.

Taemin glanced down to the sight of streetlights and vehicles that were disturbing the supposedly peaceful night. He sighed mournfully. 'Well at least it's not that bad up here'.

Still, even with all those noises and light, Taemin couldn't help but get curious about humans. They shed more blood than a blood-sucking species did and they didn't even need it as nourishment. Wasn't that strange?

A swish of fabric was all the sign Taemin needed to turn his body around, away from the view of the populated street and his curious thoughts. There he found his friend, standing on the previously empty spot.

"We're done here," said the older male. His ash-brown hair swayed by the wind.

A delicate eyebrow arched curiously. "Done already? That was fast, Jonghyun," Taemin replied, but his eyes already trailed back to observe the streets.

Jonghyun saw the way Taemin's expression changed. The hint of smile on his pink lips. Oh, he was perfectly aware of the idea that went on Taemin's mind.

"Taemin, no," Jonghyun said quickly, cutting off any consideration for what Taemin had thought about.

The younger man gave him a questioning glance like he didn't know what Jonghyun was talking about.

Jonghyun grabbed his hand. He couldn't risk Taemin suddenly jumping off the building. "You know perfectly well that you can't do that. Your grandfather will be angry."

"He's always angry at me," huffed Taemin. He looked away in defiance from his nagging friend.

Jonghyun eyes went to the snow-white hair on Taemin's head, then the silver eyes that obviously didn't look human, and finally settled on the younger's face which was too beautiful for a man. 'Yep, definitely will stand out,'  thought Jonghyun.

"Listen Taemin. I know you want to go down there and observe humans." Taemin looked like he wanted to protest but Jonghyun cut him off, "I heard what you said to Key."

That shut Taemin up. After he saw Taemin's compliance, he continued, "But you're one of the last pure blood vampire, Taemin. And we have more dangers out there other than the risk of human finding out about us. That's why your grandfather is so hell-bent on protecting you."

"But I'm one of the best fighters in our-"

"That's right, but it doesn't mean that you have to play a one-man show and recklessly jump in there," reminded Jonghyun as he gestured to the streets.

"I won't just jump in, I can blend in. I can handle it."

Jonghyun crossed his arms, his expression show that he didn't believe any word Taemin just said. "Right, that's what they always say in the movie. The ending is never that easy though."

A reply almost flew out Taemin's mouth, but he held it in. Taemin knew that whatever he said, his friend wouldn't understand. And his Grandfather would be worse.

"Whatever." Taemin turned away from the busy streets, heading instead to the opposite way. He leaped off the building with a speed that human eyes couldn't keep up. Jonghyun followed shortly.

And in a flash, the previously occupied rooftop was empty, like no one had ever been there.

***