How The Beautiful Ones Can Be

1·BREAK-OUT

THE KEYS JANGLED AS EXECUTIVE PAULA CARRIED HER PLUMP SELF UP AND down the vestibule of Tallinn Hall, patrolling it. This was it, and this time no hacksaws-that didn’t get you anywhere. Five months and seven attempted prison breaks was enough to teach him that.

Gaylord falsely endeavored to open the door out of the conditioning room. As expected, Paula entered only to be astonished that the envoy had disappeared. She huffed and began a brief search for him. Gaylord whapped her. She fought back and called for backup, a risk that would be stupid for Gaylord to take. So, naturally, he did what he was trained to do and cuffed her neck, stealing her SCAN card as he did. Gaylord’s problem then fell to the floor after a good kick.

The ceiling pipes were dusty but gladly were stiff enough not to vibrate as Gaylord stooped on them; you had to be a sort of acrobat if you worked for the S.A.F.E. In the time it took the CCT camera to detect movement, Gaylord was already ascended into the apex and on his way to the officers’ corridors in search of the government documents the Secret Agent Facility had stolen. To his dread, the vent in front of him was weak under his weight and snapped, leaving the emissary hanging. Gaylord could hear the sentries pending. Time for plan B!

Gaylord clutched a thinner pipe and suspended himself at all costs as the sentinels loomed the area. Then he swung himself into the ceiling, knocking out the CCT in his wake. Eventually he reached the attic, then the rooftop.

Now that Gaylord was in the courtyard all he had to do was maneuver through the vast supply of searchlights and CCT cameras without being discerned. However, he had gathered a lot of time to prepare for this great flee. Gaylord clambered into the hedgerow and navigated to the tower entrance. Using the SCAN card from Executive Paula as a key into the building, he unlocked the door with ease.

···

“Oh my god!” Gaylord exclaimed when the awful persistent alarm buzzing transpired the integral recruits. Damn those CCTs!” Gaylord loped to the guard’s corridors and lobbed unlimited documents to the flooring from the filing cabinets. Which one belonged to the S.A.F.E.? At last he found it: the government credentials for international contact. “Aha!” He whispered, snatching a bundle near the records. Now it was for the great absconder. Gaylord threw a decorative crystal ball sitting on top of the organizer at the window, making it shatter.

···

He fastened the ropes from the acme to the iron desk leg and flung them out the window. He climbed down the somewhat stubby cord and jumped the last 20 feet. Once he tackled the impediment fence he was free and on his was to the L.A.O. (Latvian Agent Organization). He hastily examined the documents; one caught his eye more than the other. Why, it revealed the location and making of a secret super-weapon! That meant he’d stolen a fortune of information. Reading further, Gaylord discovered the weapon was situated in a high-tech bunker outside of the facility’s underground cave. Wow! he thought.

Back to the fence, back to the tower where the faculty had finally stopped looking for him, back to the hedgerow.

Upon entering, the stone floors elevated slightly, then led to a series of dorms and corridors. And just to the vestibule’s left, there was a door on the ground. It had been sealed off, but Gaylord kicked it, falling into some sort of hole as he attempted to walk away.

Inside there was a longer tunnel which came into an open room being protected by a laser. He was in a stop-action as the laser swept back and forth. Anon, Gaylord came to yet another courtyard. Unnumbered CCTs and guard searchlights loomed the courtyard. The bunker entrance was 20 feet away, at least. “Shit!” he muttered. Here goes nothing!

Soon he found out he was re-sizing this whole image of security. This was easy compared to what he had just done. And besides, the CCTs were only set off if they sensed pure motion in their direct path. He could try to avoid the searchlights at all costs. The first two CCT cameras were okay, but the very first patrol light shouted the most awful words: “Backup! Intruder!”

···

“This is a real bitch to tackle!” he retorted. Training sure helped in a situation like this. Though Gaylord was just beginning, he managed to knock out men and women twice his size with the luck of knowing how to do great surprise moves, specifically kicks to the stomach and then to the face. Despite this creditable work, still many officials were after him. Luckily he was flexible enough to get into the hollow bunker support.

“That’s it! You can’t get out of there without coming near us… and when you finally do-”

···

“Relax, Harry. Why don’t we just shoot ‘im? That makes more sense, doesn’t it?”

Crap, crap! Rule number two, rule number two… an agent is only as good as his… weapon! Yes, of course, his pistol! “I’m sorry to cut things short but I must be going now!”

BANG! BANG! BAM! SHEEK! An explosion of guns rang through the foundation. At last out of a tight space, Gaylord got out one of two code-breakers. There were seven colored handprint activators. Blue, pink, orange, red, grey, green, and yellow. “Okay, let’s get it going here, “ Gaylord mumbled in a satisfied tone. “Okay, we’ve got um, r-red, blue, grey, yellow and uh, pink, and uh, hmmm, green. O-orange.”

No! That wasn’t right. He scrutinized the papers:

Bunker Entrance:

Activate the colored locks in (blue-grey-pink-red-yellow-green-orange). The safe will open at this code only. Registration of this code can be found on page two. This facility is for government use only. Document registration and this code are not authorized for public of individually private use.

And just like that, the bunker opened.

Tons of lasers loomed inside as Gaylord stepped into what appeared to be some sort of forensic lab. Bubbling mixtures of bright pink and blue acids made the agent’s stomach turn. More information was listed on the page as Gaylord unfolded the aging corroboration. This bunker indubitably contained the super-weapon. He knew only this if nothing else: it must be destroyed. Without fail. If it couldn’t be it had to be stolen and kept inhibited in the S.A.F.E.’s bureau.

According to the documents:

Inside the facility:

Activate the colored locks. Use of these credentials are prohibited by any use other than government reasons. The weapons in the first entrance hangar include rugerMK47 in the left hangar and explosives in the right hangar. The use of weapons in any hangars, private or public and any controlled ownership are prohibited [excluding government-military use.]

Explosives? To blow up the super-weapon! This was fine, fine news. Immediately Gaylord clambered into the right hangar at least that’s what he thought. Instead he had mistakenly entered a sub-coffer with fuse boxes being protected by live and active searchlights. These had to be smashed, too, to help disable the security system. The slower it could be, the better, after all.

···

Gaylord decided to make a little racket to lure the searchlights away from the fuse boxes. He would shatter the circuits while they were unprotected. Here it goes… he thought.

Gaylord lightly tapped the side of the doorway. Then he banged it. As expected, one searchlight came over to see what the problem was. Rolling himself into a ball Gaylord aggressively leaped into the air and batted the whitish fuse box. But upon landing, Gaylord discovered that the other searchlight had detected an intruder. He landed in a cold hard trap.

“Alarm! Alarm!” shouted an intercom voice. Bweew! Beep! Beep! sounded the alarm. At this point, he had only one choice- run!

It was an easily predictable fact that there was more than one person in this cave that didn’t like him; and most of these people were armed and ready to shoot him. That wasn’t a happy fact. “Get him! Shoot him! Intruder!” they all shouted. Nope. Not a happy fact.

“Well,” Gaylord sighed relatively quietly, “I guess I’ll come back later.” He ran, setting off the laser. But what did that matter when everything was set off already? “Screw this! Damn this bunker!” As soon as he was back in the cave, he realized yet another dilemma: one of the document pages regarding the super weapon was missing!”

···