The Yogurt Chronicles

Chapter 1- The Flavor Gang    

The sky was filled with hues of brilliant reds and purples, working down to oranges and pinks. The strong saturation was set off by the blazing sun nearly hovering over the horizon. Sitting at the edge of the cliff, his hair set ablaze by the dying sun, was someone she hadn’t seen in a very long time.

                Quietly, she stepped up behind him. For a moment she considered just watching him, but his hand patted the dirt beside him, acknowledging her presence. She kneeled down beside him, looking out over the landscape that consisted of swirls of shadows in between ridges of light-touched tips. His face was serene, the picture of calm, his eyes closed and a small smile delicately filling the space.

                “What brings you here, Strawberry?” He asked, his voice sweet and mellow.

                “I don’t know…” Strawberry adjusted her dress to one side and leaned her head against his shoulder. “Maybe I’ve just wanted to see you for so long… Do you dream about sunsets often?”

                “Yes.” He slid his arm around her, holding her close. “I dream about how they looked when we watched them together, making up stories about the colors having conversations as the sun went down. I miss those days. Hopefully soon we’ll be able to relive them.”

                “Soon?” She questioned. “Are you coming back in the near future?”

                “I should be. I’ve been meaning to send you a letter, but I’ve wound up so busy that I keep forgetting. I’m sorry. I guess it’s a good thing I got to see you.” He tilted his head and smiled a little more, gazing at her with his bright eyes, so like pools of pure energy that only a glance could fill you up for days.

                “It’s alright.” Strawberry couldn’t help but smile as well. “Just to know that you’re coming back-! Should I tell the others? Or keep it a secret?”

                “Go ahead. It would be nice to see them already cheery when I get there for one!” He watched as the sun began to truly dip below the horizon, giving way to the violet sky lit by white stars. “Well, it seems our time is coming to an end.”

                “So soon?” Strawberry frowned.

                “Yes, unfortunately. I have to get up early. I’ve got two meetings today, training sessions, and I have to attend a dinner tonight. But soon we’ll be able to hang out again, for as long as we want.” His arm drifted down and found her hand to give it a reassuring squeeze.

                “Alright. Promise me, my citrus?”

                “I promise you, my berry.”

 ~~~

                Her eyes opened to a knock on the door. “Strawberry? Ate you awake?” A gentle voice questioned.

                “I am now, cinnamon.” She answered back.

                “Oh gosh! Did I wake you? I’m sorry!”

                “No no, you’re fine. I was waking up anyways.”

                “Okay…. Uh, it’s almost time for everyone to report.” Cinnamon told her.

                “Ah, right. Wait for me a minute and I’ll walk down with you.”

                “Okay!” This seemed to perk Cinnamon right up.