My Family

"John no!" I cried out as my little brother spilled the pitcher of water. Letting out a groan I grabbed a rag from the hamper and brought it out, wiping up the cold liquid. I clicked my tongue in annoyance. 'Wonderful'. I thought sarcastically. I picked up little John by his underarms, lifting him and placing him on my hip as I walked outdoors. Mother was scrubbing Father's grey tunic and old work boots. I walked over to her, kneeling down and letting my brother go. "Begara," she started angrily. "Get up, you'll ruin your dress." I mentally rolled my eyes at her silly concern. "It's just a dress mother, it'll wash." I spoke, looking sadly at her stressed out and wrinkled face. When I was a young girl, Mother's eyes twinkled and wrinkled as she laughed or smiled. Now she is but a hollow shell. Ever since Lord Markongret sent his soldiers out to attack our village she hadn't been the same. King Wilox has been postponing this battle for many years. My Mother and Father fear war is ahead, and I agree. Mother looked at me, her pale blue eyes meeting my own. She reached a cold, frail hand up and placed it on my cheek, lightly rubbing with her thumb. I leaned into her embrace. Although she has been cold and fearful, she has yet to lose her motherly touch. I smiled softly, and that grin widened as John crawled over and sat on my lap. I chuckled softly as his wide green eyes looked at the fish swimming in the river. Mother smiled, her dim eyes lighting up a bit. "Both if you are beautiful." She said softly getting a strange look from both me and my brother. "My two beautiful children." She spoke, her voice cracking as she reached out and brought me and my brother to her chest in a strange group hug. A neighing horse got our attention. I wide grin spread on John's face. "Papa!" He called out before leaping out my arms and running towards our father. I too stood up and rushed to greet him. My father laughed in delight before scooping up my brother and I into his arms, kissing both of our heads in greeting. I wrapped my arms tightly around his large frame, smiling happily at our mini reunion. My father gently dropped my brother and I back down before looking to our mother. She was smiling softly, her cold eyes warm with love. My father's eyes the same. They both walked up and wound their arms around one another. They looked up at each other and pressed their foreheads together lightly pecking each other's lips. My brother fake gagged and giggled into my skirt. My mother and father always acted lovey-dovey around each other. It's no wonder though since they married. I rolled my eyes at little John. I loved my family very much but sometimes I just want to leave, to get away for a while. Though if my child mind knew what was coming next I would've bit my tongue....