Chapter 1~ Middle of an Earthquake

Gunshots echo in the distance while police lights beam through my bedroom window. I try to get my homework done, but I can't. The police sirens seem louder, the police lights brighter. I shove my notebook into my bag and go out to investigate. Caution tape stretches around my house as police question my mom. "The hell did he do this time?" my mom says, clearly fed up. We hadn't seen my brother in days. That was considered normal for him. "We found this in his room earlier..." The cop handed my mom an empty pill container. She crumples to her knees instantly. I wanted to cry. But I didn't. My stepdad would beat my ass if I acted like such a pussy.  My mom rolled  on the floor for a while. I could only imagine what was going through her head right now. I could barely understand what was going through mine.
   My mom got taken down to the police station for the rest of the afternoon. When she returned, She didn't talk to either my stepfather or me. She just went in her room and locked the door. My stepfather indulged himself in liquor until he could barely sit up straight. I went in my room and played Sam Smith songs until I finally got myself to cry. Once I finished crying, I layed down in my bed and swam in thoughts. Why Reece? We needed you. And you abandoned us. Now our lives are an earthquake, and I'm right in the middle.