PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

I open my eyes to the sound of a humming machine.

There are dark spots in my vision as I shrug away the remains of drowsiness and my head feels like it had been ran over by a dozen army tanks. I look down my body and find my pink pajamas covered in blood. If it was mine or someone else's, I'd never know.

Horrified, I sit up and gaze around a sterile, white room filled with laboratory instruments. Cold sweat has already soaked my back and I feel more pouring down my temples. My stretcher is settled in a corner and there is a long table in the middle of the room where various chemicals in different colors are contained in test tubes, beakers and flasks. A computer in the table displays a long blinking bar and a big 100% COMPLETE in its screen with cables connected to an oven-sized machine where the humming sound was coming from.

I start to walk out of the room when I feel a painful tug at my ankle and find it chained to the stretcher where I had slept. Panic surges through my body as the door at the front opens and reveals a man in a lab gown with bloodshot eyes, tousled hair and an angry scar marked X on his face below his right eye.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Anna. Happy birthday to you." the scientist sang.

"Hello, baby. Did you miss Daddy?" he maniacally grins at me as he approaches the computer and taps several keys on the keyboard.

His deep, raspy voice sends shivers down my spine, reminding me of who he is. He is the one who chained me here. He had caused me a lot of pain and he doesn't show plans of ending them.

"Daddy, I don't want to die." I feel tears run down my cheeks and hear myself whimper.

After a final tap on the keyboard, the humming noise of the oven-sized machine dies to a sigh. The scientist opens the box to reveal a clear, transparent liquid that looks like plain water. He pumps it into a syringe and walks over to my stretcher. He kneels on the ground to look at me eye level. 

"Daddy, no. No-" my tears flood my eyes and I wail in fear.

"Shh shh shh. Don't worry, baby. Daddy will just be right here." he smooths my hair down to calm me but it doesn't work.

I shake my head no then feel his hands tighten on my hair as he pulls my hair and slams my head to the wall. Pain explodes from the left side of my head and I am seeing darkness on the edges of my vision.

"When I tell you to shut up, YOU SHUT UP!" Daddy screams at my dazed face.

I can feel my consciousness pulling away from reality as I feel a warm, sluggish liquid trickle down the part of my head that had contact with the wall. 

I close my eyes and immediately regret doing so.

I abruptly open my eyes only to feel a needle prick my right arm and that is when a roar erupts in the room and my vision engulfs to darkness.