ONE

[Chapter one : New friend]

Another night, another night when little Lia was alone. He had already lost count of how long he had been away from home. His red hair was messy and dirty, even with lice.
His small eyes were swollen and they were wearing huge black circles. His skin was white, rather, pale and the only thing that gave him color were the purple and blue bruises on his forehead.
His feet and hands were frozen and full of wounds. With hunger and cold, I would not stand much longer.Winter had arrived, the earth was covered with snow.
The little girl of eight, almost nine years old, opens her eyes with a little difficulty and runs her tongue over her rough lips, which you could notice small drops of dried blood, wanting and needing water.

-I'm thirsty. Mom, I'm thirsty

The little girl still imagined that her mother would be with her right now but unfortunately she was not.
Her parents left her in the forest to escape the war because they were Jews.

-You see? It is pointing towards there. said Lia, speaking with her wrist, saying that the compass her father had given her was pointing south. And it was there that he had told him to go.

The little redhead makes her way along with her doll. He walked for hours, going around and around, he had not eaten anything. His stomach was screaming for something to eat and his body felt that at some point the other would cease to exist.

-I'm hungry!-He said, falling to the ground screaming with the few remaining strength.
He was digging with his fingers what little dry earth there was still, making the earth enter his weak and dirty nails.

-mommy, I'm hungry ...- he said in a barely audible whisper.

- "I'm here my love, come, come."Lia swore to hear the sweet and delicate voice of his mother, and that in these times, the only thing that could not snatch him was his imagination.

-I'm going mom, I'm far, far away, I'm coming.

Talking was getting harder, his eyes were getting heavier, his body craved rest.

The day was dawning fast, that was how the winter season worked, Lia could only feel peace in his loving dreams, where he remembered the old stories of his mother, or when his father went to look for her at school, and even, and not least, remembered to his faithful companion Jules, his toy horse with whom he had spent the best adventures

"Come on, Jules, let's venture, no rules, come on, run, faster, faster, no, do not be afraid, Jules, the Germans will not eat you.

-Lia, come.

-Do not! I'm playing.

-We pray for the war to end, come.